Need External Amp for my Kawai ES920

Reaction score
I’m looking for an external amp for my Kawai ES920 and was hoping to get some good suggestions from the ES920 crowd. It needs to be light weight and I’d prefer if the amp would project an all around sound rather than straight directional. Not doing rock concerts here, just jazz, country club and restaurant playing. Mainly solo, piano-bass and piano-bass-drums. Sometimes I use a quartet. Just need a little oomph and presence when the room gets a bit larger and to project a tad when the crowd din gets a bit noisy. BTW – I love this instrument! Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Reaction score
A pair of Alto TS408 is about $600. Or for half that price, you could start with just one. It will still sound good, but you won't get that "project an all around sound" out of a mono box, you need stereo for that. Ideally, you'd also use a small mixer between the piano and the Alto (or any powered PA speaker), otherwise you don't get the full gain out of them, but if you don't need a ton of volume, you may get by without that. Nicely, the Alto only weighs about 20 lbs. And for under $300 (or $600 for the pair), it sounds pretty darn good. A lot of low cost stuff just doesn't sound very good for piano. (I've never heard the Behringer Biggles recommends.)

Ask a Question