Keyboard for Musically Challenged Individual?

Reaction score
I'll get one like you suggest when funds are available. I dare say I will pass on this keyboard within 3 years whilst upgrading to another. It's a cultural thing. (none the less looking after my gear is a priority) I'll forgo the linen cloth as now that you mentioned; I should known better.

Reaction score
I initially made covers out of heavy clear vinyl runners so my cat could also not dig his claws through. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of an easy way to fix the corners except with clear box tape. They actually looked pretty good since I was a shipper at one time and knew how to make nice looking wrapped boxes. The tape fell off in about 2 years. Stitching would be perfect, It's pretty much the same thing they use for boat and convertible top windows stitched to canvas except heavier. Runner plastic is only wide enough for the keyboard, not the stand also. I suppose you can get wider peices. The runner peices I used were the common kind about 3-5,00 from walmart. They also had the little vinyl spikes too. I put that outward so my cat did not like to hang around on it :) You can buy regular clear vinyl also. If I wanted the best and best looking flexible cover I could think of I would have one made this way by stitching.

Attachments

• thJ7VZEHD3.jpg
    thJ7VZEHD3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 327
  • thT473537N.jpg
    thT473537N.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
Reaction score
Modding is a good skill that gives a personal feel that can't be beat! Would be cool if you could somehow embed your own design into the Vinyl. Sewing is something I am yet to learn. An excellent skill to have on hand.

Reaction score
Hey Guys - thanks for helping me pick out a Keyboard. I did up a Vlog for one of my journals and thought I would share it here as well. Could care less about likes and sub ... my vids are more personal than anything else.

Casio WK - 6600 arrives:
(Oh yea ... when I reversed the camera - it made the horizontal back to front so the keys appears to play in the reverse position ... not that I really play anything. Very happy with the sound quality for the little speakers!!!)

PS the information I give regarding this keyboard could very likely be wrong as I really have no idea about these instruments ... It's just a vlog with me checking out my new "toy" :)

Thanks for your help picking it out:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Dave, Can see your excitement at the arrival of the Casio. Now you need that same enthusiasm as you begin the learning process. It takes time and patience. At first the challenge may overwhelm you, but the rewards are imense if you stick at it.
Looks like a decent machine. There are Casio guys here if you get stuck on anything.
Technically speaking, GaryRat and SeaGt are the smartest on the planet.
Musically, here also are some gurus to help you out. . Fred and Cowboy are awesome dudes for starters.

As for me, I have hundreds of sheet music booklets if you want any in particular, l might have what you want. I am happy to mail to you.
cheers

Reaction score
That's a very kind of offer. Much appreciated. Other than kids songs to start with, I am looking for very basic classical pieces to learn with. For now I am content with what I have acquired and the books Gary recommenced re learning Music and the additional theory book. (still in transit) I even started going to the Library again. :)

Your dead right about patience. Today I am leaving the Keyboard in it's room while I let it all now sink in. Having exhausted all my means, I am using the polyfoam material that came with the unit as a dust protect for now. I pretty much look after all my stuff and heed the warning re dust.

Garry was a huge help as has been cowboy and the others. The only thing on my mind now is learning finger placement and hand postures or at least give it thought as I start to develop whatever habits during the beginner phase. I'm more thinking the thumb, index and ring finger then the cross over to using all five in order after rolling off the thumb. Very hard to explain in words for me - BUT - it's my last short circuit before I start touching the keys. Not sure where and what terms to search for that. I know I don't want to learn bad habits. This is where I loose out not having i teacher I guess ... or just requires more research on my part.

I joined some piano forum so will ask those guy about that as well. Some beginners music will advice what finger which may help with proper development. I was wondering if I should just be learning to use my fingers, do crossovers and that sort of thing before I even bother with songs. I really am not in a rush - The last thing I want to do is develop bad habits by rushing in. I learned pretty good with the guitar because I took the time to lean posture and finger positions. I know some teachers and students regard such as too rigid and leads to students giving up ... but not for me. Much easier to learn the right way first as I am prone to finding things difficult to change once I have set my ways.

Anyways ... I ramble too much. None the less ... I search later on this issue with proper hand development from the start and see what exercises I can start with such in mind. No rush this end. Any comments or links regarding this would be very welcomed.

Thanks again for your offer - perhaps once I am able to read and know more about my taste I will be better placed to then sing out.

Keyboard%20Cover_zpsjo183vit.jpg

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've mentioned this before on some other threads, but both the Association Board of Royal Schools of Music (UK) and the Royal Conservatory of Music (Canada) publish a series of books of graduated piano literature, supporting their music assessment programs. The RCM is big in Canada with support from a lot of the United States. The ABRSM is a more world wide program, with less support in the United States.

I think I've got the RCM Level 1 book at home. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send it to you. (I'm currently attempting some pieces in the Level 6 book, which is considered high intermediate.) The entire RCM piano syllabus is available here, while the ABRSM classical syllabus is available here. Since much of the romantic and earlier material is public domain, you probably can get free (AND LEGAL) copies online. I don't support scanning and sharing of non-public domain material that's currently in print. (On the other hand, if the music is no longer commercially available, then tough. Given how easy it is now a days to keep stuff in print, there's no excuse for letting a work be unavailable.)

The levels between the two programs aren't exactly the same, so switching back and forth between the two syllabi would be a bit harder than it should be. The RCM has a much stronger theory requirement (and supports a full theory assessment program), while the ABRSM also supports separate assessments in jazz. Both are good programs. The biggest impediment to either program is how well it's supported where you live, assuming you're even interested in going the assessment route.

Reaction score
I think formal education of all types should be banned untill after a person is old enough or has a solid foundation as to who they are individually. Even in my early 20's when I finally began to take formal piano lessons it felt so wrong to me that I quit and I didn't really know why. The same in chemistry. Today I do know why and that my instincts had not failed me..

Reaction score
Thx Fred - With the keyboard covered up for now and the information all still catching me up - re learning materiel and sorting which way is best for me ... I need a few more days to let it all sink in. Thank you very much for the details you have provided. I watch the about video. It has an open source feel to it, however I am a little exhausted atm to work out how much of this program relies on profit and what the agenda really is. The website layout is not that great for my way of seeing/navigating. I get lost very easy despite knowing well the advantages of a well structured program.

I'm still looking for a simple book that teaches posture and positioning from the very beginning. I spent a bit of money on two books already, yet care less until I can find some tuition that will get me started with how to approach the keyboard and use my hands correctly. I don't think I am going to bother with the two books when they arrive until I can find some form of self teaching that touches on the physical approach with regard to keyboard/piano playing.

Yea ... formal can be rather intimidating for me Alchemy. Yet structure is something I yearn ... hence my lack of interest to start learning until I can find something that touches on the physical approach. A guide on how to use the hands seems to be lacking in most of the books I am finding. I only require dozen notes to keep my happy, but without the focus on how to approach ... I am pretty much lost. In this regard, the formalities mean nothing to me.

Thanks again Fred ... but information overload for me at this point. Perhaps later. For now ... I'm more focused on finding a book/video/FREE COURSE that has some beginner exercises that teaches me how to physically approach my keyboard simple exercises ... then I will begin some kind of structured learning ... most likely under my own direction.

Thx all the same.

l have found nothing that teaches how to physically connect with the keys. A beginners guide on how to sit, think & use my hands. That is what I need ... So I am telling myself.

I just need to learn more of the terminology. Fingering is one that google keeps coming up with and I assume should be in all the Piano Method Books ... I have no Method BOOKs just yet. Going to a music shop now and will discus this approach I seem unable to find in the online Guides I have thus far found ... Learning the theory does not seem to cover this aspect ... thus once again ... is pointless for me to start hitting the keys will nilly. That would be an unstructured approach that will embed bad habits. This I know from personal experience.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've now forgotten how far along you are and I don't feel like re reading the thread but I was surprised at a couple training videos I just watched recently, can't remember why, maybe they were Garys posts, but one actually says that starting out playing the famous hit 4 chords is a good thing to learn and expand from. One shows the 4 chords as the "50's chords" C, A minor, F, G and suggests learning the bottom part of heart and soul. I love it, because I think I even mentioned doing that the first time I ever hit piano keys when I was maybe 9. And yes, you can easily expand to different variations and play a lot of beautiful stuff. I can sit and play variations in that for hours today and people love it as do I. The other 4 chord hit songs I saw suggested for learning is C, G, A minor, F. We just had a hilariously informative thread on those, thanks to Paul. I personally especially love the Am, F, C, G chords (in various keys). .

Reaction score
Sounds like that's a good handle for you Alchemy. I'll keep in mind and draw from it when I have more knowledge about what chords are and how to utilize them.

I made some good progress in the shop today. The young fella helped me pick out a book and I'm please to say I got a good price on it.

Progressive Keyboard for Adults <-- Best link I could find of the BOOK.

Below is one of the many tuition videos (there is heaps of them on the two DVDs that come with the book plus another two CDs)

I am going to take the Chord Chart down to office works later today and get it laminated. Here is a pick of it ... although my phone does not do it Justice:

Click on pick to follow LINK and click once more to magnify:

The book is laid out perfect for me and has all the aids I was looking for. Between this and the Music Books Garry recommended to me ... I think I am set to go. Just going to make some of my own Flash Cards to better ingrain the Music Stave & Notes. From there, I want to learn like I did touch typing ... play as I read.

One step at a time. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I didn't even see your first video up til now. I keep forgetting I have to disable my google block to see embedded video. Great video, Good for you! Looks great. I even got giddy myself from here about your new keyboard. Now I'm going to check out your next ones.

Reaction score
wow, I was trying to find a heart and soul chords video to show you but I guess I played it wrong all my life, lol I play the bottom as a melody rather than a chorded beat.

Anyway dig, all you do is hit the C at the next octave down from the middle C with a left hand finger. then play middle C note with the right hand, then up two white keys to E then up two more white keys to G. Then drop down all of those notes two white keys down and do the same (starting at A). Then drop to F and do the same then up one to G and do the same, then start again at the beginning and repeat. If you have a sustain pedal hold it for each chord.
After you learn to play that then try hitting all of the notes at the same time for each chord. Then after you get used to that then start switching the same notes around like instead of playing notes CEG play EGC and instead of notes ACE play EAC and any variation you want. You will start hearing songs you know, perhaps many, and then be able to figure them out. In fact once you learn the first way I describe, try doing the same thing, the same 3 notes for each chord, from way down the keyboard and play them in every octave, to near the top for each chord. If you learn to do that at a moderate speed and in time, while your wife is gone and she comes back and she heard you do that she'd think you were a born pro :) It's classic love song stuff too :)

If you want to go by your chord chart, you are playing C Am F G

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for the rundown on that Alchemy. That's a really detailed and descriptive example you have given there. I'm still a long way off touching the keys yet. In a nut shell, I am a visual learner. I can see pictures in my head a lot better once I understand what letters go with what keys and once again; understand how the chords and octaves work. All the same, thx for the explanation. The reason I have not yet started practicing is I am still working on my approach.

I am still yet to pick out a Goal Song. I've red that's really important ... having something to work towards. This morning whilst our walking, I was listening to:
Ludwig van Beethoven - Piano Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp minor, Op. 27 No. 2 "Moonlight": I. Adagio sostenuto - Calm Radio - Classical Piano on Calm Radio - Classical Piano with TuneIn.
(please excuse the add)

Anyways - I decided then that I am going to choose a classical piece as my main aim to learning piano. I've got a bit more listening to go yet. I've been emailing myself all the ones I like and will decide before I set my intent to 100%.

Last night I made my last book purchase:
50 Most Popular Classical Melodies Music Book for Easy Piano

I also found a place to print out flash cards and tested myself on a few before embarking on the lamination/cutting out and folding process to make a few sets up. That will take time and I am in no rush. Additionally I in the process of downloading the required software to rip the DVD data, download the codecs to further break down the audio into much more manageable pieces. More so to repeat bars, shorter pieces and play on varioius devices. Sadly slowing down a piece will not work like that ... However I have discovered some software the can further teach me to learn music as well as allow my to slow down the music without effecting the pitch so much. It's called Cresendo.

AWESOME - I that last linked just solved a problem for me. Joining the two staffs together. woohoo. :)

I also started photocopying the exercised in my progression book. That way I can write my usual spasmodic left handed marks on the page and not worry about marking the book. In the process of do so, I seem to be taking all the information in at a rate that will allow me to start off much better than If I had not taken the time to assimilate. I stutter quite easy when taking information is which leads to all kinds of mind blocks. I am enjoying very much taking my time as I research on how it is that I intend to learn something completely new.

That cord chart came up nicely after having it laminated at office works.

That's about it for now - Just have to clean up the rest of the room that was not shown in my vid. I am unable to think in a cluttered space. So ... I still have lots of media converting to do ... pages to copy, songs to listen to and more research in learning crescendo and or finding more software like that one. I think I will post later about that program in my other thread. Making these posts also helps me as it does in other places on the net. I guess it's all in the approach. We all learn differently.

Forgive the long post ... is also how I tend to learn. Perhaps complex and too much info for others ... but is rather calming for me.

I perhaps find another place is it seems I am taking up too much space - I like to blog my efforts. In fact ... I think I will do just that. I link once I have found such a space.

Take care.
~Dave. :)

EDIT: Just reminding myself I need to ask the question ... do I need to concern myself with only having 76 keys when looking for this or that piece of music??? How do I account for that? (guess I will need to know more about music before understanding the answer to that.)

Reaction score
Anyways - I decided then that I am going to choose a classical piece as my main aim to learning piano. QUOTE]

Then play from your chord chart C-G-Am-E-F-C-F-G :) That's Pachelbels Canon. You'll recognize it right off. Then play those chords one note at a time and you'll be off to figuring it out. Most of the hit songs from the 50's, and even earlier imo, to 2016 are said to be dreived from it and I think I agree.
wiki- The circumstances of the piece's composition are wholly unknown. Hans-Joachim Schulze, writing in 1985, suggested that the piece may have been composed for Johann Christoph Bach's wedding, on 23 October 1694, which Pachelbel attended. Johann Ambrosius Bach, Pachelbel, and other friends and family provided music for the occasion.[4] Johann Christoph Bach, the oldest brother of Johann Sebastian Bach, was a pupil of Pachelbel. Another scholar, Charles E Brewer, investigated a variety of possible connections between Pachelbel's and Heinrich Biber's published chamber music. His research indicated that the Canon may have been composed as a kind of "answer" to a chaconne with canonic elements which Biber published as part of Partia III of Harmonia artificioso-ariosa. That would indicate that Pachelbel's piece can't be dated earlier than 1696 – the year of publication of Biber's collection.[5] Other versions are occasionally put forward, for example, suggesting the date of canon's composition as early as 1680.[6

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Dave,
I applaud you for having the courage to set yourself this musical challenge. Others have done it I know. . from scratch. . yes (including myself) but yours is so much more difficult and a very ambitious task. Because you are aiming high selecting CLASSICAL music to begin with. If you stick with this I admire you immensely.
Classical would be the most difficult of all to learn I imagine. I have never played it. (can't).
I also envy your patience and strategy to set yourself up. if it was me I would be going in gung ho!
Cheers.
PS. I am enjoying this thread.

Reaction score
Anyways - I decided then that I am going to choose a classical piece as my main aim to learning piano. I've got a bit more listening to go yet. I've been emailing myself all the ones I like and will decide before I set my intent to 100%.
Since you've been listening to Beethoven, here's a couple of his greatest hits that you'll most likely recognise.

Whilst the intial phases of learning an instrument are never "easy", I would consider these tunes to be on the easier end of the spectrum - and you might wish to investigate further:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
That's Pachelbels Canon. You'll

Just need to point out that Pachebel's Canon isn't a canon. A canon is a polyphonic work in which each part plays the same melody, just starting at different times. The best known example would be "Row, row, row your boat" with four people singing. After person one finishes the first line, the second person sings the same first line. Etc.

Pachebel's Canon is a Ground Bass (or basso ostinato).

None of which is to say not to enjoy the piece, just to realize that musical definitions aren't always followed when naming pieces.

Reaction score
Just need to point out that Pachebel's Canon isn't a canon. A canon is a polyphonic work in which each part plays the same melody, just starting at different times. The best known example would be "Row, row, row your boat" with four people singing. After person one finishes the first line, the second person sings the same first line. Etc.

Pachebel's Canon is a Ground Bass (or basso ostinato).

None of which is to say not to enjoy the piece, just to realize that musical definitions aren't always followed when naming pieces.
I think I read that once. I have seen versions on youtube where several instruments each start after the line before and then each stops at the next line at the end but some instruments never play the same things in the middle, the faster fancier parts. North Korean children on cellos and Chinese students on hammered dulcimers are very beautiful to watch. They're all nice to watch. I even saw an amateur bluegrass band doing it and it sounded beautiful.

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Since you've been listening to Beethoven, here's a couple of his greatest hits that you'll most likely recognise.
Paul. ...
This is good for me too.
I am going to try this out. As I am adept now with right hand melody and treble cleff. It is time I got off my backside and learnt the bass cleff.
Melbourne Cup Day today so I have a free morning to learn Ode to Joy.
cheers.

Ask a Question