Keyboard Help Please

Reaction score
Live in Sydney, Australia. Have a budget of sub $1,000 AU.

Key requirements: as un-techie as possible - whilst MIDI interfaces, non-piano sounds, ability to microwave TV dinners would be nice my main aim is to find an instrument that will allow me to really just play. Feel and sound that best replicates the real thing (well given the budget) with as little distraction as possible. Been the midi controller/XV2020 sound module route and it's not for me.

Narrowed it down to the SP170, P95 and CDP200 as they seem to be the best sellers in Oz at that sub $1K range.

From what I gather: Korg: popular (bloody hard to source actually!). Limited and really prides itself on simplicity. Yamaha: I can't seem to fault it for the price?. Casio: Reviews say it's bang for buck but "tries to do too much".

All signs point to the Yamaha. But wait, there's more. I've been offered a $1600 Roland FP4. I can justify blowing my budget for the reasons: that I'll most likely "grow out" of the cheaper models quickly anyway. However, a Roland FP4F can be had for about $1900. Seems like a negligible price difference but seriously, the $1600 would already be a big stretch for me.

Thoughts?

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hi there

You identify touch/feel, ease of use and sound as your main criteria (within a price bracket) - which are you feeling you might grow out of for a cheaper model, or is it some other factor?

The Y-man

Ask a Question