Keyboard in the $500 range..read on for my background..

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking to get a keyboard in the $500 range. I have some piano ability but am a bass player by trade. As a former Berklee student I had to take some basic piano, plus I took lessons for a few years when I was younger. I'm mostly looking to use the keys as a writing tool, but I am interested in genuinely improving as a piano player as well. It would be nice someday to be able to do some gigs as a keyboardist...but that's down the road. At first I was looking for something that mainly did piano as I'm not really interested in a lot of the gadgetish sounds. I also really want 88 keys but would possibly settle for 76. My first explorations led me to these options:

Yamaha YPG-535
Yamaha P95
Casio Privia 130

Then I was kicking around online and saw the Casio WTK 7500. This sparked my interest as it seems to have some great features for putting together songs. At the same time I really want to concentrate a lot on my playing and am not sure how much all the bells and whistles will pull me away. That said, it sure does seem handy as a songwriting tool. Not having tried it I haven't felt the keys either. I like keys that feel at least reasonably pianoish and don't want anything too springy or "plastic" feeling for lack of a better term.

So basically those are the four keyboards on my radar right now that are in my price range. Any comments on these or any others I may have overlooked would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-Rob

Reaction score
Rob,

For the money the Casio WK7500 is great and in your pricerange. Has some good piano's and everything is to adjust to your liking. The keys are not weighted however but they are touch sensitive.
It has a lot LOT more than you want or need but see that as a bonus. Also the privia is a very good choice.
Al keyboards have pro's and cons but in this pricerange you can't go wrong.

Ask a Question