Looking for good keyboard at $500-1000 range

Reaction score
I am new to the world of keyboards and in search of the best bang for my buck. I am searching for a keyboard that has the following features: weighted keys, speakers, MIDI
If anyone can give me their recommendations, that would be great!
Thanks

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Alex and I'm from Italy. Have had 16 keyboards till now... I can tell you that usulay weighted keys and speakers usualy don't come together :)
You could try some Yamaha DGX series keyboards and see if you like the package (630 or 640)
Or you could go with Casio CDP series...maybe disconitued I'm not sure (cheaper but more basic)
The rest are electric pianos with limited "keyboard-like" functions such as styles, sequencer,effects etc

I had a Casio CDP 200 a 3 years ago but sold it...not happy with sound quality.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
oh sorry...just noticed that the image on the top left corner of this internet-site is a Yamaha DGX 630...coincindence:)

Reaction score
If you want a weighted keyboard with speakers for that kind of money, you're looking at some kind of digital piano, really.

Korg SP250, Casio PX-330, Yamaha P95 are "stage pianos" - primarily concentrating on piano sounds, and portability.

If you want something less portable and more like a piece of furniture, then the entry level home pianos from Yamaha (YDP-S31) and Casio (AP-220) should be within your budget, too.

If you can live with a cheaper, half-weighted keyboard action that doesn't quite feel like a piano, then there are some other options:
the Yamaha DGX series adds some extra bells and whistles - more voices, accompaniments, etc.
or the Korg SP170, Yamaha NP30 will save you a bit of cash.

You're pretty much stuck with those brands as I don't think the other major brands (Roland, Kawai, Kurzweil) do anything matching your requirements for under $1,000.
Or you could go for a non-branded model, which can be risky.

Reaction score
Hiya. With that spec and weighted keys, look at the Yamaha P95, Korg SP170S and SP250 - all under £600. Slightly above this however and I agree with Oyst3h, the DGX640 is a good option. If you can put up with semi weighted keys, also look at the Yamaha NPV60 and NPV80. Both decent spec and in the £300s. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I use the Casio Privia PX3 for my weighted stage keyboard. It doesn't come with on board speakers, but I look on that as a plus since 99% of all on board speakers plainly stink. When played through a big or small *decent* keyboard speaker, this keyboard sounds truly amazing, especially the piano sounds. It is the lightest of the similar 88 key weighted stage pianos that I've looked at and so far has been very durable. I recommend it highly for both general quality and especially for its value for the buck.

Ask a Question