Keyboard/midi question

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a midi controller that I can also play without being plugged through my computer. So it would have speakers (or a headphone jack at the very least) and at least a couple sounds on the keyboard itself so that I wouldn't have to hook it up to my computer everytime I want to noodle around. But the midi functionality is the most important part and I want it to be under $200.

When I was looking on amazon, a lot of the portable keyboards have usb connectivity. Does that mean they have midi or no? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hello jcb08j and welcome to the forums!

If you want to hook it up to your computer to use it as a MIDI controller, you're best off looking for USB connectivity, unless you have a MIDI IN port on your computer.
I did a quick search and found this fella:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Casio-CTK...ssional-Closed-Cup-Stereo-Headphones/10298374

It has speakers, tons of sounds, and USB for $180. And, as it seems, you can get it at walmart :)

Reaction score
Caution, as the meaning of "USB connectivity" varies in the lower cost units. You need to read the manufacturers spec sheet closely before purchase or you could be disappointed. Don

Ask a Question