Keyboard or Synth

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here and new to keyboards and synths. I already play guitar in a band and write some of my own stuff using my pc. There's a couple of songs that my covers band plays like "all these things that I have done" by The Killers and "dirty diana" by MJ. These songs sound hollow without the whoosing of keys or synth. I'd also like to fatten up the sound on some of my own recordings and was wondering what would be best to buy, a keyboard or a synth.

I've not got a big budget for this, £200 max.

Any help or suggestion on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Reaction score
hmm... a tight budget for a good keyboard. I'd go with Korg Trinity. It is an old model (1996-1998) but it works and sounds great.

Reaction score
To clarify some things for you, the word "Keyboard" includes all kinds of keyboards; Synthesizers, workstations, stage pianos, arrangers, MIDI controllers and so on. Which means that the choice between "keyboard or synth" doesn't really exist.

For the choice itself, I agree with Sysryns suggestion. If you could find one for that price, that's the way to go.

Reaction score
Brandon of The Killers uses a microkorg. You could find one on ebay for about $300-400 USD. I see some on there now in the $200's.

Reaction score
I think starting with a microkorg could be problematic because of the small keys. They're very different to full-size keys, and if one got used to playing small keys, it could be difficult entering a market that is luckily dominated by normal keys.

Reaction score
I think asdas and argos are both selling keyboards for, like £20 but they're obviously not "real" instruments. I think they have full size keys though.

Ask a Question