Keyboard Stage Volume

Reaction score
I am never satisfied with my stage volume. Do I just get used to it? I've tried in-ear which works well one out of every 10 gigs, (and I can never get the sound man to understand what's going on, no offense to any sound men out there), live spots eventually get swallowed by the rest of the band (8 piece). I play so much better when I can actually hear myself. Can I get witness? Thanks!

MM

Reaction score
Hehe... I got immune to that by now. Most of the clubs we play in don't have monitors,
or have only a few (which go to the vocals then) so the rest of us are just "blind"
when it comes to hearing eachother.

I really got used to it after a while. You can barely hear yourself from the
main amp system and you can use that for the orientation - the rest... well...
Rely on yourself when it comes to accuracy and playing, and on the sound technician when it comes to overall band sound.

Unless you can get your own monitor... i doubt it will make much difference.

Reaction score
More details please

I am never satisfied with my stage volume. Do I just get used to it? I've tried in-ear which works well one out of every 10 gigs
MM

Tell us a bit more. What does the sound man get from you? Are you using a couple of DI boxes?

What's the band line-up? Is there a drum kit, are there electric guitars/bass?

Reaction score
Goz211,

I am using 2 DI boxes, one for Roland RD-700 and one for Nord Electro.
The band consists of myself, Lead guitar, bass, drum kit, with members doubling at times on 2 horns, rhythm guitar and additional synths. There also can be four of us singing at the same time.

It seems as though during the night the composite stage volume increases yet no one admits to turning up. The in-ear can be effective but proves to be inconsistent in sound quality and mix regardless of fresh batteries. I am monetarily unprepared at the moment to invest in a new transmitter/receiver so I'm trying to figure out another way. Maybe somehow be in control of my own sound and mix. Do I ask too much?

Thanks for your consideration.
MM

Reaction score
Depending on the DI boxes you use, you could always run a second output to a monitor for yourself.

I've recently decided to use a small four channel mixer/100 watt preamp and run a line from my mixer to the actual house soundboard, and then a second line to a monitor for myself.

Reaction score
Depending on the DI boxes you use, you could always run a second output to a monitor for yourself.

+1

Sounds like a great band line up. With that many people you'll have to trust the sound engineer to get the mix/volume right out front.

At the moment do you have onstage monitors controlled from the desk or is everyone doing their own thing?

What do the guitar and bass player have onstage?
Is it an acoustic drum kit or V-drums or something like that?

What I'm wondering is how do the rest of the band hear your keyboards (for cues etc) at the moment.

Lastly - trying to be diplomatic here - are you an established band running like a small business - dedicated sound engineer (and maybe with a modest budget to deal with sound issues that affect everyone) or a group of friends doing a few gigs a month with a rented PA.

Reaction score
If money is an issue get a used 50 watt bass amp and put it on an X stand off to the side about 3 feet away pointed back at you. Sound quality isn't the greatest, but at least you'll hear yourself well enough to be able to play - and that's what's important.

Don't put it on the floor, it won't work worth jack - it has to be elevated on a stand.

Reaction score
in ear

get your self some very good in ear monitors and the mixers to get the job done....you'lll be in heaven every gig.....i can send u some info.....SAVE YOUR HEARING ALSO!....:D

Reaction score
get your self some very good in ear monitors and the mixers to get the job done....you'lll be in heaven every gig.....i can send u some info.....SAVE YOUR HEARING ALSO!....:D

The OP has tried that - in the original post they wrote that it only worked satisfactorily for the band for about 1 in 10 gigs.

"In ears" are great for a big stage (and big budget) set-up where you can get your own mix and a bit of physical separation. Also for smaller gigs where there's no backline. I get some work with bands who play coroprate gigs like this - all playing live but drummer is on V-Drums and no guitar/bass combos or vocal monitors.

Ask a Question