Suggestion for MainStage 3 Keyboard

Reaction score
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good quality midi keyboard to use with MainStage 3? I play at local gigs (bars and parties mostly) with a rock cover band. My main keyboard is a Yamaha CP4. I'm considering adding a midi keyboard with MainStage. The reasons are 1) I'm not crazy about the CP4's organ sounds 2) I'd like to try using a second keyboard instead of always using splits when I need more than one sound, and 3) I'd like to avoid spending the money for something like a Hammond SK1 or similar. I don't need more than 49 keys. All that said, I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Ad

Advertisements

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The Novation Launchkey 49 looks pretty good at $169.99, and it has 9 faders or slider controls-- which, if you're interested in organ sounds, could be mapped to the 9 drawbars. There are other 49-key controllers out there, many of them costing more money-- but the way I see it, if you're thinking about spending as much as $399.99 for a 49-key controller that doesn't make any sounds of its own, then you might as well spend $499.99 instead on a Yamaha MX49.

But I don't have any personal experience with Novation keyboards, so I'm not making a recommendation per se, just mentioning one possibility that caught my eye.

Ad

Advertisements

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In the under $200 category I could recommend the Alesis QX49.

I own one and it does a pretty decent job and has a good feel.

I also advise avoiding the M-Audio Oxygen Series like the plague. I used to own one and it skipped notes like nobody's business.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question