Keyboard suggestion?

rrr

Reaction score
I'm just beginning to learn to play the piano, so it's time to buy one.
I'd like to buy a digital piano, but there are zillions of them out there... so I'm not sure where to start looking... can someone suggest a couple??

Here is what I'm looking for:
1) I want the keys to feel the same as a real piano (size, action, weight, etc)... what is the difference between "full weighted" and "graded" keys?
2) I want to have the 3 basic piano pedals
3) Since I do some basic recording (using GuitarPro), I'd like a USB output from the keyboard.
4) I'd like lots of synth sounds (strings, horns, maybe a built in drum machine, etc) to help with recording... I presume that there is a big difference between keyboards on the sound quality here... comments?
5) a full 88 keys would be nice
7) I'd like to keep it under $750 or so

Any suggestions?
thanks!

Reaction score
A used Yamaha S90 would probably fit the bill for what you need... I think they're going for about 1K though - a bit of "budget creep" for you but still, it's a quality instrument.

Another good one to look at is the new Casio Privia PX320 -
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PX320

...not quite as full-featured as the Yam. S90 but less expensive. :)

Reaction score
Well, since you plan to use the pc and Guitar Pro, you could just got a 88key weighter controller(just the keys, no sound generating ability, uses midi to tell other devices what sounds to make) and the pedals for it and play through the pc(you can get some really nice sounds for the pc, but I don't know much about that) or get a sound module.

Graded means that the lower keys are slightly heavier than the higher keys much like a real piano.

Yes, generally, the pricier a keyboard the better the sound, but that also depends on the selling point. Different makes also have various strong a weak points depending on the sound.

Reaction score
There's some cheap M-audio workstations for about $500-750. I played one hooked up through a Behringer amp in a store and was surprised at the decent quality of the sound. As for pedals I don't know. One thing though you mention the 3 basic piano pedals... you only really need 1 for a keyboard, a sustain pedal. The soft pedal won't make a big difference and I don't know of many people who use the sostenuto or middle pedal very often, its uses are limited.

Reaction score
The cool thing about midi controllers is they are cheap and expanding to more sounds is just a matter of purchasing the softsynths or rack modules as you see fit. The controllers will outlast a workstation or arranger synth in that you only have to upgrade the software or rack modules. Prices aren't too bad for an 88 weighted controller as was mentioned earlier. Then, if you want to have that 8 million dollar sound, it's just a matter of picking and choosing where you want to place your 8 million dollars and you can do it over time instead on one lump sum.

Reaction score
Roland, Roland, Roland

The new 700GX just came out. Best action. Simple user interface, with MINIMAL buttons. Stage pianos - this is the one. Not a lot of sounds, but its the few and the mighty.

Ask a Question