Keyboard thump w Yamaha psr s670

Reaction score
Like the psr s670 system but the keyboard itself has terrible action and creates a thumping sound even when played lightly. If I were just laying tracks, that would be ok, but if I am playing live my mike picks up the thumps. It’s very annoying.
have considered a thin piece of foam weather striping under the front of the keys.
Any suggestions?
This is my fourth Yamaha but am deeply disappointed in it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your first option was right in principle but wrong in material.

Under the keybed is a thin strip of piano felt.

It's probably worn to a nub or they used too thin a piece in the first place.

If you are capable, then open it up and replace the felt with a thicker piece.

You can easily find the stuff on Ebay.

Personally I would use contact cement as the adhesive. I think that's also what the pros use.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Search youtube on "Yamaha Keyboard Repair" and you'll come up with some great tutorials.

Also be sure to record video or lots of pics when you take it apart so you know how it goes back together.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Dale

I agree with Gary on the felt. I have a 2004 vintage Casio WK-3800 with the same problem. It was their top-of-the-line 76 key WK model back then, but the keybed noise is horrible. I was going to go the more felt bit, but a friend tried it with his WK-3800. He went with the same felt thickness as one of his nice Roland boards, and ended up losing a whole whopping bunch off of the top end velocity of the WK-3800, and really screwed up what expressiveness it did have. It appears that most of these keybeds are closely calibrated to and programmed for the thickness and density of the felt that they use, so you have to really be careful. It stands to reason that a little extra felt thickness and/or density could make a significant difference in the speed of the key at the top end. BUT . . . . I am really responding to this thread to thank you very much for it. I have been seriously watching the PSR-S670 prices for some time now. I figure it is just about time for Yamaha to replace it, and when they do, the price of the ones left should just about fit my budget. I really like that board, from what I have seen and heard in the YouTube demos, but the local Guitar Centers and the couple mom & pop stores, that are left, have never had one for me to try in person. So, from what you have said here, and with thoughts of my old Casio WK-3800 thunker, I think I will take Biggles' advice and just mosey back up to Guitar Center and take a much closer look at a PA-700. The only Korg product I have ever owned (still do / love it) is my AX-1500G guitar effects processor. Maybe it is about time I broadened my horizons a bit.

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
A person I jam with also as a noisy PSR-S6 series.

My flippant response is sell it and move on to a Korg Pa 700.

I think the Pa600 is more comparable to the PSR-S670 as far as price, whereas the Pa700 is more comparable to the PSR-SX700. I mention that only in case price is an issue and there's a desire to keep a replacement 'board in the same price neighborhood as the current 'board.

Ask a Question