Keyboard without standard MIDI as a controller for a keyboard with

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can use a keyboard (Yamaha P-125) with only USB-B (USB to host) MIDI out (no standard MIDI ports) with an adapter of some sort to connect to another keyboard's standard MIDI in to use it's keybed to trigger sounds on the other? I have a new keyboard (Yamaha CK61) with MIDI in that's synth action and would like to be able to use my fully weighted piano's keys to trigger sounds on the new synth action one. I tried one of these cheap (and yes I realize that could be part of my problem) adapter cables off amazon: https://amzn.to/3AJkFjD with a USB-B to A adapter (https://amzn.to/42gpJaU) to plug into the source keyboard's USB to host port but no luck.

I know I can buy a weighted 88 key MIDI controller with the normal port but . . I have a board with weighted action that I like (just no MIDI out)

Reaction score
The adapter you got is for a different purpose, it won't work for this. The fact that you needed to add a USB-B to A adapter to it is a big clue there, those are rarely useful, because the inventors of USB didn't make the A and B connectors different just to make life difficult, they serve different purposes. if you're adapting one to the other, you're almost certainly trying to do something that couldn't possibly work, and ignoring that they tried to stop you from wasting your time. ;-) (I think the only exception may be for USB OTG devices.)

You need a USB host device in between the two keyboards. You can use a computer or smartphone to do that, or you can get a standalone device for this purpose. The one from Kenton is the gold standard, the Camola DoReMIDI is the bargain brand, but seems to work fine. Note that they have two versions, the cheaper one (MIDI 1.0/1.1) will work for the P125, the one that's a little more adds MIDI 2.0 compatibility which may make it more useful in the long run if you ever end up using it for other keyboards.

ETA: Another solution for this is to create a bluetooth connection between the two keyboards using CME WIDI devices.

Last edited:

Ask a Question