KORG KARMA Combi

Reaction score
got this red beauty for 500 with sum cool stuff... anyway! Im having alot of trouble with a combi im trying to create.

I like the "strings" program and i want to use it and to sound exactly the same in the combi.

However, (this is a keyzone split combi..) i also have a lead patch i created my self from the oscillator up and need it on the last octave.

obviously for them to both sound like there suposto the effects have to be routed correctly but i just canttt figure it out!

if anyone could be of help ide apreciate it very very much. THe karma has the same interfeace as the tritons and M3 so you can still help

cheers!

Reaction score
As the Karma supports up to 5 Insert Effects, and 2 Master effects, you will have a total of max 7 effects simultaneously in your combi. If your lead + your strings sound use more than 7 effects in total, you will have some issues, and you will probably need to skip a few of your effects.

I didn't get if you had problems transferring the effects from program mode to combi mode, if so, here's how you do:
In Combi mode, at the first screen, press the little arrow in the top right corner, and go to "Copy From Program", choose the program you would like to copy from, check the boxes that you want, and choose which timbre to copy it to.

Now that sound should sound the very same as in program mode.

If you do the same things now with your strings sound, the effects will replace the ones you just added, so we'll do it another way now.

If you have any IFX slots left, go to the IFX menu and press the top-right corner arrow, and choose "Copy Insert Effect", there you can select which insert effect you want to have in which slot, you can actually copy MFX and to the IFX slots as well, but not the other way around.

Now, for the routing process. As I don't know exactly how many effects each of your sounds use, I will do a little guessing here. Let's pretend that your lead sounds uses 3 IFX, and your strings sound uses 2.

Code:
Lead Sound In ---> [Insert Effect 1] chained
                   [Insert Effect 2] chained
                   [Insert Effect 3] Lead Sound Out ---->

Strings Sound In--> [Insert Effect 4] chained
                    [Insert Effect 5] String Sound Out --->
This way, both your lead and your strings will have the desired effects, without affecting each other.

Hope it helped, but since I (as mentioned) don't know how many effects you're using, or how you used your MFXs, there's quite a big chance that my illustration didn't really work out for you. If it didn't, just give me a tell, and I'll try to be more specific :)

copy.png
favicon.ico
favicon.ico

Reaction score
Thanks!

your a big help dude! you really did give me a great explanation and you did gues the right nmber of effects, actualy the string sound just uses 1 but yeah! haha

so now my question is the routing, i understand your illustration but i dont quite get how to assign the progrms in the combi to that...

so if you could answer that last one i would apreciate it times 2 :)

Reaction score
If you go to your IFX Routing screen in Combi mode, you should have a screen similar to this one (pic taking from the M3)

M3IFX.jpg

This is were you assign which program should use which effect. In this case - as you can see - Program 1 (Lead) goes directly into IFX 4, and will therefor not be affected by IFX 1-3.

Which program goes to which effect is controlled by this button:

M3IFXmarked.jpg

As you can see, in this example, it says IFX4 in the marked area, so that program goes directly into IFX4.

And as you can see, there is an arrow between IFX 1 and IFX 3. That means that those 2 are Chained. So everything that goes into IFX 1 will also proceed into IFX 3, this is controlled in the IFX Setup tab, by checking the Chain box:

M3IFXmarked.jpg

So, in my example in my previous post. You will assign Program 1 to IFX1, and then chain IFX1 --> IFX2 --> IFX3. And then assign Program 2 to IFX4, and chain that to IFX5.

Hope that helped :)

Reaction score
Thanks!

for the great the great help! i got it worked out great!

btw i dunno if you like the jane wirman or jens johanson lead but i made a great one if your interested :)

email me at (e-mail address removed) for the PCG

Reaction score
Are you sure the KARMA PCG files will work for the M50? I'd love to have those, if it does work :) Since I need some inspiration for making my own lead sound, since currently it's almost a copy-paste of Rudess lead sound :p

I'm glad you appreciated my help :)

EDIT: Received your PCG, but "File unavailable" when trying to open it in my M50, so I guess it doesn't work :(

Reaction score
The M50 and M3 PCG files are compatible, but they use the EDS synth engine while the Triton and Karma line use the HI engine, so the PCGs aren't compatible across product lines unfortunately.

Reaction score
The M50 and M3 PCG files are compatible, but they use the EDS synth engine while the Triton and Karma line use the HI engine, so the PCGs aren't compatible across product lines unfortunately.

Yeah, I thought so. I've tried with some Triton PCGs too without success... But the M3 PCGs work for the M50? :O Didn't know that ^^, that's awesome :)

Ask a Question