Korg Kross 2 vs Roland Juno DS

Reaction score
I've been playing the keyboard not quite everyday since I got it, but my practice time is mostly dedicated to bass guitar. Also, I used it in band practice 3 times. This is going to be very easy to transport when it comes time for a gig - it weighs less than my bass!

I can see how the issues listed above might put someone off, but for me it is perfect. Each time I run across a program or combination I like, it is saved it to favorites. Then, these get called up for practice. Easy!

I need to spend a day with the user manual exploring the features. So far I have not done alot of editting combis or creating samples. Thanks for asking, perhaps my mind will change after a few months.

Reaction score
Vincent

Goad you are enjoying the K2.

If you edit your favourite Combi’s by Eq and add Fx they will come even more alive.

It is a Korg thing, all keyboard sounds are pretty level and with rich and mellow tones straight out of the box and need adjustments to Eq to make them zing.

Reaction score
Korg have their Video Manual series of getting you started tutorials and Roland have similar but more disjointed versions listed as Product Support.

Watching both series will stand you in good stead for the back to back session.

The Korg has the advantage in small physical size and lightweight (4-5 lbs lighter than the Juno), the Sequencer, ARP, inbuilt drum patterns and multi function Pads, the Kross 2 needs to have the latest OS and three patch files to give it very good piano sounds, so if the Kross 2 you play has not been updated the piano sounds will not be as good as the Roland. The Neon range has these updates as standard.

The Juno has the advantage of very good sounds out of the box and a much simpler user interface. The huge thing in favour of the Juno is its smooth sound transition from one instrument sound to another where with the Kross 2 hold a note then change the Program or Combi and the held note will cut off, with the Juno it will continue to sound until the key is released.

I have had my Kross 2 for nearly two years and only choose it over the Juno due to its small size and lighter weight.

It depends upon which functions are most important to you as to which is best for your needs.
Can you give me directions for how to update my new Kross 2 to have the best pianos sounds, as you recommend?

Reaction score
I am a pretty new piano player and I was thinking about an arranger keyboard but I have about decided that one of the keyboards in this thread might be a better choice. One of the features on some of the arrangers I was looking at was the ability to play full backing tracks (in my case karaoke files). I think I have read that the Korg Kross 2 will let you load complete songs onto a pad (I might have to convert the karaoke mp3 files to wav). Can the Juno play back complete songs? (By the way, I understand that neither of these keyboards will display the lyrics of the karaoke file.)

Reaction score
You can always download and browse the Manuals for the keyboards.

As it is I cannot remember what files the Kross 2 will play.

What I do know is that a Korg Pa700 / 1000 / 4X arrangers will play Karaoke files AND display the Lyrics.

Korg's PA arrangers will also convert MIDI files into new Styles if that is a feature of interest.

Maybe Yamaha's equivalent models wo;; do the same, but that I do not know

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Juno DS has only a pattern sequencer built in so you cannot directly load a MID file, BUT,,, You CAN always run a Karaoke or MIDI sequencer on your computer and send the MIDI data to either keyboard and play it that way.

All you need is a standard GM1 compatible keyboard and I can assure you the Roland is GM1 & GM2 and GS compatible.

Sometimes I just hook up a MIDI player on my computer and sit back and enjoy the playlist. :D

I've never owned a Kross 2 so I'll leave that to Biggles to search his failing, aging neurons. ;)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question