Connecting a Stage 2 to a Korg?

Reaction score
Hi all. I own a Korg Krome 61 and use it for the sequencer, but the keybed doesn't allow for decent piano solos. I also own a Nord Stage 2 HA76 and LOVE the keybed. Is it possible to use a midi connection of the Nord stage 2 into the Korg Krome so I may use the weighted keys to play piano solos and use the Korg's sequencer to record them? Like as an external keyboard? I am new new the midi connection world and thought I'd give this a shot, before I am forced to learn the world of DAW. Thanks to anyone who knows this and can help!

Reaction score
Hi all. I own a Korg Krome 61 and use it for the sequencer, but the keybed doesn't allow for decent piano solos. I also own a Nord Stage 2 HA76 and LOVE the keybed. Is it possible to use a midi connection of the Nord stage 2 into the Korg Krome so I may use the weighted keys to play piano solos and use the Korg's sequencer to record them? Like as an external keyboard? I am new new the midi connection world and thought I'd give this a shot, before I am forced to learn the world of DAW. Thanks to anyone who knows this and can help!
First run a cable from the NS2 MIDI Out to the Krome MIDI In. Assuming both keyboards are at their factory defaults, without doing anything else, playing the Nord keyboard should functionally duplicate playing the Krome keyboard, that's about the simplest thing you can do with MIDI. Assuming you don't also want to be hearing the Nord when you do this, you can just turn its volume down (there are other ways to address that, but that's a really simple one.)

Subsequently, you may find you need to change various parameters on one board or the other, if you want to do things like have the Krome set up to play a combination of sounds where the Nord is triggering some of those sounds but not all of them, or if you want to be able to split/layer the Nord such that it is playing a selective combination of Nord and Korg sounds, etc. As for whether you'll have to do anything more to accommodate your sequencer workflow, I don't know. But start with just running the cable and see how far that gets you; and then if you're hitting snags with the sequencing side of things, if no one else provides a better answer between now and then, post back with exactly what you're trying to do that isn't working.

Ask a Question