KORG PROPHECY - HELP, Please !!!

Reaction score
Please can I ask for some help for my newly purchased Korg Prophecy ?! I bought it on the recommendations of many articles and people who had bought the instrument but I cannot seem to get to grips with even the basic and fundamental tasks of getting good preset sounds out of it ! i AM AN OLD-SCHOOL PIANO/ORGAN PLAYER RATHER THAN A STATE-OF-THE-ART SYNTHEZISER PERSON AND THEREFORE NEED SOME HELP HERE !!

I have printed out the manual na deven when trying to apply the instructions, the buttons I press to obtain (say) a MOOG type lead synth sound are NOT easily available or straightforward to obtain time after time.

Please can I ask what the best method of getting the basics understood and learnt so I can just switch the thing on , locate the sounds I want, hopefully learn how to save them and place them under a preset button for future use?

Thanks frustratedly

WELSHKEYS57

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I owned a Korg TR a couple of years ago and I agree Korg does not simplify patch selection or creation in any logical order.

I'd suggest watching any youtubes you can find explaining the synth as well as searching Google for online or DVD tutorials you could purchase.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=korg+prophecy+tutorials&page=&utm_source=opensearch

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korg-Prop...321?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd9f2bb69

https://www.google.ca/search?client...&oe=utf-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NzsiU9eDEsOC8QfIo4DoDg

Reaction score
Phil, I certainly understand. I'm an older player as well, but have a technical background which helps me get through a lot of issues. Youtube tutorials can be very helpful, and I'd certainly recommend visiting the on line Korg user forums as well. Most importantly, go slow and try to be patient as you pick up information. Don

Reaction score
Hey Phil,

I agree with Don and Gary, trawling through YouTube is an excellent way of learning all sorts of tricks for your keyboard. There seems to be plenty of helpful people out there who have the time, skill and inclination to put all sorts of tutorials together.

I do a lot of patch creation/modification with my two Korgs and I approach it a bit like one might approach writing a long essay. I'll work on a patch for a while, and when I get it a bit closer to what I want, I save it. That's then locked in, then I might walk away for a while and tweak it some more later. If that sounds even closer to what I want, then I overwrite what I had and keep moving on, until one day, I'm there! I have some lovely patches that took me several sessions to get "just right". I find this avoids frustration as you slowly work towards that perfect sound, not having to start from scratch each time you want to improve your sounds. Also, I find that after a while I need to walk away anyway as I start to doubt my ears and hear things that aren't there. It's like smelling perfumes at the store before you buy one for your wife - your nose needs a rest after a while!

My other bit of advice would be to spend some quality time with your Korg and just fiddle with it without putting too much pressure on yourself to create something amazing straight off the bat. After a while you'll get to learn what it can/can't do which will make it easier to create and modify your own patches.

Hope that helps - I know you'll get over the hump with your Korg and when you do, you'll love it.

Paul

Ask a Question