Korg TR88 vs Yamaha MO8

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm buying one keyboard for under $2K, closer to $1.5K. I've done some research and I've got it narrowed down to two keyboards.
Pretend that the KORG TR88 and the Yamaha MO8 are the ONLY rigs out there. Please lend me your expertise to assist with the final decision:

• I'd be using it to play classical piano pieces using all 88 keys.
  • As a synthesizer for mini-moog type lead and bass sounds for starters, then expanding from there as my familiarity with the instrument grows.
  • Using it to build accompaniment to practice jazz improv.
  • Playing along with midi.
  • Eventually Composing, arranging, and recording.
  • Doing this stuff at home, but eventually playing live with a group.
So, please lend me some of your expertise. Which one would most fit my needs. and once again, please pretend that the TR88 and the MO8 are the ONLY rigs out there.
Thanks

Reaction score
I'll go give one a test drive, but in the mean time, how about some pro/cons on the first two?:D

Reaction score
well... a tough one...

The MO8 is based on Motif ES sounds which gives it a great piano sample, but the TR has the sampler, yet not-so-good piano samples.

I've played both, and i really can't say what would i take :)
If it's the pianos you want, and you have no need for extra samples then go MO,
in other case... it's obvious.

P.S. I can't believe i just recommended Korg LOL

Reaction score
Hey Sysryn,
Thanks for the input. So the MO has better on board sounds but no sampler. I think I could add sounds to the MO via USB, but just not load them internally, right? So, I still have access to other sounds.?.
If that's the only significant difference, I'm currently leaning towards the MO8 because some other folks I had spoken to expressed a preference for the MO sounds as well.
Any other thoughts Sysryn or anyone else?

Reaction score
Hey Sysryn,
Thanks for the input. So the MO has better on board sounds but no sampler. I think I could add sounds to the MO via USB, but just not load them internally, right? So, I still have access to other sounds.?.
If that's the only significant difference, I'm currently leaning towards the MO8 because some other folks I had spoken to expressed a preference for the MO sounds as well.
Any other thoughts Sysryn or anyone else?

No... you can't add more sounds to the MO series, not even via USB. You can only modify the existing ones (but you can load edited programs via USB).

When it comes to MO, what you hear is what you get... nothing less, and nothing more :)

Reaction score
OK, I gotcha.
I guess your last statement would better be phrased as "nothing less, and nothing MO!":D

But you knew that.......

Reaction score
No... you can't add more sounds to the MO series, not even via USB. You can only modify the existing ones (but you can load edited programs via USB).

When it comes to MO, what you hear is what you get... nothing less, and nothing more :)

That's pretty much a given for any keyboard in your price range. To have proper sample capabilities (unlike the Juno G and Juno Stage, which don't really sample so much as play back recorded audio), you'll be going up a price bracket: Korg Triton Extreme or the newer M3, Yamaha Motif, Roland Fantom series, and so on.

Ask a Question