Korg Triton ST61?

Reaction score
Hello all

I've been playing keyboards for a good few years but am out of touch with a lot of new stuff. I'm interested in grabbing a triton studio 61 as I vaguely remember seeing someone using one once live, but have no idea how much I should be paying for one?

I have a few other questions.

Is it ok for gigging .. durable and user friendly?
Could it be used as a standalone keyboard for gigging? What is the piano like mainly as I imagine organ, brass and other bits and pieces will be fine?

Thanks for any and all replies ... very nice forum aswell :)

Reaction score
Hello & welcome - please read the thread I posted yesterday in the introduction section - I hope it may explain why my reply is as follows!...

Where are you from? - are you in a big city area where things are easier to find, or miles from anywhere & internet shopping is the way to go?

How much should you be paying for one? - what currency are you talking about?

In answer to your other question, my advice would be to steer away from a keyboard with only 61 notes if it's the only keyboard you'll be using.

The Triton studio is certainly a durable (& excellent) keyboard, with tons of great sounds - but if you're thinking in terms of using it for sounds alone, & gigs only, then do you really need a workstation?

You could still go with the Triton 'family', but maybe a pared-down model such as Triton Le76/88 or TR76/88.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Um, aren't the LE and TR workstations as well?

Beckster, why have you settled on a Triton Studio? If you can afford it, I'd recommend the LE or TR or, ideally, Triton Extreme, because they're newer and will have more sounds than the Triton Studio does.

Reaction score
'

Yes of course the Le & TR go under that moniker, but as Beckster was already
looking in that area I'm sure you'd agree that neither are as complex as the Triton Studio?

In recent times I have owned both a Studio88 & an Le61 -and I know which of the
two is easier to operate!

The other consideration is price - you'd pay more for a Studio than a TR or Le.

From what Beckster said my understanding is that he/she likes the Korg sounds
and that a good array of voices is on important for mainly live use.

You get all these things with either the TR or Le.

Reaction score
Sorry guys I never thought to post that sort of info .. apologies :0

Liverpool but music shopping not as good as it should be.. the last major buy i made was in manchester academy of sound as was.

Currency nuf said :) and I don't mind paying decent money for a decent keyboard etc
My main problem is my main setup lives in a van and portability is zero. I have a P200 which apart from being one of the best things ive ever bought piano wise it is as you know a heavy bugger to say the least.

the reason im thinking this model is I quite fancy getting into doing some stuff at home again AND have the availablity of a portable keyboard with suitable piano sound etc etc for any 'pick-up' (extra curricular) gigs i get.

I know what youre saying about just 61 notes ... but tbh anything bigger and im getting into the realms of carryin a big %^^&*g keyboard around again.

In short getting old and lazy etc.

Thanks very much for the responses so far

Reaction score
'
Hiya Beckster, thanks for the extra info!

The 76-note versions of the TR & Le models weigh very little more than the 61-note.

It's when you get into the territory of 'weighted' 88-note models that you are getting seriously heavy -

(Korg TR61 = 17lbs/7.7kilos, 76 = 20lbs/9kilos, 88 = 53lbs/24kilos)

To my mind the 3lb difference in weight between the 61 & 76 is a no-brainer,
when you consider the greater flexibility of having that extra octave or so available.

By the way did you mean Sound Control when you said Manchester Academy of Sound?
If so, that has now become PMT Music 'the house of rock' I think they call it! -
it's where I got my Korg M50 from.

Reaction score
The shop is still going but cant remember the name. All i know is you fall out of deansgate station and you are there. It's by an old victorian style archway or the like :)

Great info mate and tbh when I posted the lazy old git thing I was goin to edit the number of notes requirement.

Spot on and thanks for the kick up the you know what.

Now what I need is either
a) a good idea on what price to pay TR76
or
b) someone to sell me one right now with a case :)

Really appreciate the help mate

ps. would still like to know in gbp how much approx a korg triton studio 61 is worth :)

Reaction score
'
Hey Beckster - I'm always happy to give a Scouser a kick anywhere/anytime!!!!
- sorry mate, I couldn't resist it!

(for the benefit of International readers, Manchester & Liverpool
are great rivals -especially the football teams- and we're only about 30 miles apart).

Back to business! - the problem here is that both the Le & TR range have been superceded by Korgs' new M50,
so are only available on the second-hand market.

A further problem is that Korg's 73-note (yes 73, not 76) M50 is not available at all
in the UK yet (although I am told it's imminent) and will cost around £1000 UKP

The other thing you haven't mentioned yet is how much you're prepared to spend?

You could probably expect to fork out around £400 to £600 for a used Le or TR 76 depending on
whether you get lucky or not.

As for a case, well they range from about £30 to £150 depending on the quality.
(bear in mind a hard/flight-style case can weigh considerably more than the keyboard it contains!)

Good luck in your search!

Reaction score
'
Hey Beckster - I'm always happy to give a Scouser a kick anywhere/anytime!!!!
- sorry mate, I couldn't resist it!

Lol, you are most welcome :)

Thanks for all the great info it will be a big help when I get down to sorting stuff out.

I probably wouldn't press over a grand let me put it that way as to cost. Maybe just a bit over the range you suggested..

Thanks again matey :)

Reaction score
Correction on the train station .... Oxford road Station it was and the shop whatever it is called is right by it :)

Ask a Question