Kurzweil Mark 10 will not turn on

Reaction score
We just inherited a Kurzweil Mark 10 electric piano/keyboard. We brought it home and set it up and it played fine for about 15 minutes. It then shut itself off and we cannot get it to start up again. It is like it was unplugged but of course it was not. What do you suggest we do to get it started again? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, John Penders

Reaction score
The Mark 10 looks like it is brand new and it played for about 15 minutes and then just stopped and went dead. No idea what went wrong.

Reaction score
Mark 10 problem

The consenses was that there is a fuse problem but we cannot find the area where the fuse is. We were told it is near where the cord goes into the machine but we cannot find it. Please help and advise

Reaction score
A fuse holder can be a round object about 1.5 centimeters diameter that unscrews probably counterclockwise likely located on the back of the keyboard. Inside you may find a cylindrical fuse about 6 mm wide 3 cm long. If it is made of glass then you might see the fuse wire inside broken.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Mark 10 problem

The consenses was that there is a fuse problem but we cannot find the area where the fuse is. We were told it is near where the cord goes into the machine but we cannot find it. Please help and advise

JP- can you get a photo of the area where hte cord goes into the machine please and post it.

The Y-man

Reaction score
The fuses for the Mark 10 are inside the piano right behind where the cord plugs in. To get at it, just unscrew the three screws at the top (from the back). Now you can slide the top (the left on mine slides a bit towards the front, (rotate the top a bit), then slide the right in a bit. Tilt the top towards the back- careful because there are two wires (one each side) for the top speakers. You can see the circuit board with the plug - there are two fuses on the board.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I also have a kurzweil mark 10. When I turn it on the lights light up once then nothing. Has anyone ever experienced this. Sometimes it has blinked three times

Reaction score
I have a mark 12 that would not stay powered up. when turned on it would scan and sit at the ready, but press a key and it would restart. you could even sometimes get 1 note. I look at the boards and at the caps on them. on 1 I saw a little bulge. so I went about changing it. I got 5 mins of play before the reset. so I did them all just because. now its working. total cost 54 bucks

Reaction score
I have a mark 12 that would not stay powered up. when turned on it would scan and sit at the ready, but press a key and it would restart. you could even sometimes get 1 note. I look at the boards and at the caps on them. on 1 I saw a little bulge. so I went about changing it. I got 5 mins of play before the reset. so I did them all just because. now its working. total cost 54 bucks
Still working fine after (1 year) the electrolytic capacitors have been changed digi key had all of them https://www.digikey.com/ it was easy to un-solder and replace .

Reaction score
I also have a kurzweil mark 10. When I turn it on the lights light up once then nothing. Has anyone ever experienced this. Sometimes it has blinked three times
Yes that’s what’s happening to min and I cannot slide the top off my keyboard to even look at the fuses

Reaction score
We just inherited a Kurzweil Mark 10 electric piano/keyboard. We brought it home and set it up and it played fine for about 15 minutes. It then shut itself off and we cannot get it to start up again. It is like it was unplugged but of course it was not. What do you suggest we do to get it started again? Any help would be appreciated. Thank You, John Penders

Reaction score
My Mark 10 quit on me Christmas Day. I opened it up and found it has 8 fuses! They were all good. I looked for any over heated components. Found none. So I checked the power switch. Yep. Probably getting some corrosion on the contacts. Opening the switch was difficult, so I just turned it on and off a dozen time to knock off any thing blocking the connection. Seems fine, for the time being, at least.

Reaction score
YES. Same thing has happened with mine. It lights up extremely briefly, and then nothing. The only indication there's power to the thing is the amber light that's illuminated on the floppy drive.

Reaction score
3 blinks is a hardware error on most synthesizers. if nothing works it's usual a faulty fuse.
Hardware error: when the synth is 25-30 years condensers intend to loose there capacity= resistance of the elco gets higher..
Also for e C64/C128 or old amiga's, if they fails then recap all elco's, so surface elco also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Connect with other users on the Kurzweil Mark Series Facebook group. We have the service manual and song files in the files section of the group.

Ask a Question