Learning to play better? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello, I am an older piano player, taught myself how to play but I don't play well. I usually try to learn how to play by getting sheet music, learning notes one at a time. I can read most of the treble clef (learned it as a child with guitar) but bass clef is like Chinese! I even tried flash cards in bass clef...still struggle. So, I know I have much to learn but I'm thinking...if I can learn where my hands are on the keyboard better, I could probably play better. This might not make much sense...I know what notes the keys are but my fingers don't find them without looking most of the time. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction score
I'm an older player as well, and I think I understand. I'd suggest seriously considering looking for someone who can give you some lessons on the basic techniques and
scales. That would help it all make sense, and train your fingers.
B3

Reaction score
Thank you for the response! Do you know of any online technique training or perhaps some good books that I could try? I live in a very remote area and lessons from a real person would not be available. Thank you.

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information! I've searched a bit on the internet but had no idea what might be worth the effort. I'll check them out!

Reaction score
Hi Dart,

Just wanted to let you know that songpond.com has some great techniques for beginning players. I got set up on the site for my daughter since traditional lessons weren't working for her.

Reaction score
harmonious22, so how is your daughter doing with Songpong? I looked at the site but it seems kinda flashy and not sure what it might teach me...

Reaction score
Dart, the deal with my daughter was that before she could start learning the songs the site had, she had to go through the techniques. She was able to learn her major and minor scales, learned about the circle of fifths, chord structures, fingering techniques, etc....

I think she likes it because it's all video. She's never been one to pick up anything via staring at a book. I can't guaruntee that it will work for you but my daughter definitely liked practicing a lot more once she could use the songpond.com site.

BTW....just a little tip on remembering those Bass Clef notes. It's just like remembering the Treble Clef..

Treble Clef is -
Lines = Every, Good, Boy, Deserves, Fudge (E, G, B, D, F)
Spaces = the word FACE (F, A, C, E)

Bass Clef is -
Lines = Good, Boys, Deserve, Fudge, Always (G, B, D, F, A)
Spaces = All, Cows, Eat, Grass (A, C, E, G)

What I did to get the notes down was...
Since I already knew all the Trable Clef notes and was confidence about their location on the keyboard, I started playing only Bass Clef parts for a while so I could drill the location of the Bass Clef notes from the keyboard and the staff in my mind.

Once I felt confident that I could look at the sheet music and be able to locate the note on the keyboard without hesitation, I put the Treble and Bass back together. Then it's just like anything else, play it over and over and over and over...etc....:D

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for giving me the rundown on your daughters lessons! Kinda makes sense! From looking at the site, you wouldn't think they'd teach you techniques before they dove into a song. That's what I think I'm looking for. I am presently taking some lessons from Piano Lessons Online - Learn and Play Piano Quickly! but I'm finding them pretty boring and hard to keep at it. Learning "Mary had a little lamb" is hard to take when you can play some Jim Brickman and David Lanz songs...not well mind you, but play them. So, I think I'll give this a try. Would you believe I have never heard of the Good boys deserve fudge always for the bass clef? I knew the Treble clef saying but never the bass. I guess that's what you get when you start lessons as a kid on guitar!? Thanks again for the info...

Ask a Question