Looking for Good Portable Gig Piano

Reaction score
I need a new keyboard. I generally play jazz and standards . Need a easy to transport 88-key, weighted keyboard with a good acoustic and Rhodes/e-piano sounds that will function across all 88 keys. If I can nail this requirement, all the other sounds/layering will be icing on the cake. I want to use it to to play solos, piano-bass duos and piano-bass-drums trios. Also need self-contained speakers capable of accommodating a small room/restaurant. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Dexibell P7 or S7 Pro M, Korg SV2-SP 88, Yamaha P-515, Roland FP-90 are models to consider.

The standard Rhodes in the Dexibells was not at all to my liking, but they have optional EPs on their web site that you can download into the keyboards for free that are much better, and you can also load soundfonts. The P7 is also the lightest of this bunch, though the others probably all have better actions. These all have above average speakers (for built-ins), but still have their limits. Probably fine for restaurant solo work, but maybe not with even a quiet drummer.

Reaction score
The lightest 88 I've found with above average speakers is the Kurzweil KA90 (and presumably its near twins under other labels), but its EPs are terrible. Luckily, it has good connectivity options, so if you were willing to, say, put an iPad on it (or a small module like Dexibel SX7), you could get good sounds from there and play them through the KA90's speakers.

Reaction score
Thanks anotherscott - I reviewed all of these and my pick would be the Yamaha P-515. My only concern is the weight of 48.5 lbs. My second choice would be the Roland FP-90 which has few less lbs. I need to be able to transport this instrument to gigs and although I am physically fit, at 71 years old I’m no Spring chicken. Does anyone out there tote this instrument around and if so, have you found ways to mitigate this challenge. Any tips?

Reaction score
The Yamaha only has 2x20W amps onboard and this does not give you much power headroom.

By the time you put the 48Lbs keyboard in a wheeled container you will still have a lot of weight to lift in and out of your car.

Why not go for something far lighter and get a pair of powered monitors and any limitation in onboard sound could be managed via an iPad and a few Apps.

Roland FP90 also has limited onboard power

Reaction score
I did mention that, while these models have above average speakers for portable slabs and could probably handle solo restuarant work, you'd likely need to get other speakers for other scenarios... so picking up from what Biggles said, if you determine you'll need to get speakers to use at least sometimes no matter what, if you decide you can deal with always taking them, that opens up more keyboard options that would weigh less, and even cost less, like Kurzweil SP6 or Casio PX5S. Or even something like a Kawai ES110 which still gives you speakers that may occasionally be useful, even if not providing as much sound as the models mentioned earlier.

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated! I've narrowed it down to the Yamaha P-515 or the Kawai ES8. The Kawai ES8 has a much richer overtone complexity and the features are similar between the two. I have, however, not yet found anywhere on the Internet to purchase the Kawai. I left an email inquiry with the company. Has this model been replaced with a newer version?

As far as the weight, the two are about the same. I don't do a whole lot of giging anymore, so as far as managing the weight to get it to a gig, I would find a good gig bag to put it in, transfer it to my dolly and strap it in. I'm old school, I used my dolly to transport my 88-key Fender Rhodes suitcase all over town. Those were the days. Two trips from the car, one for the bottom and one for the top.

I also like the Yamaha P-515 but I am concerned about the force it takes to depress the keys....considerable more gram weight than an acoustic and this issue has been brought up in the videos I've watched.

Any comments? Any comments about the Kawai ES8?

Reaction score
Thanks anotherscott. Much appreciated. I'm about ready to purchase this Kawai ES92. This new version weighs just 37.5 lbs, easily managable. Does anyone have any comments before I pull the trigger? Here is Tim Parskins review: https://azpianonews.blogspot.com/2020/09/kawai-es920-review-digital-piano.html I really appreciate everyone's comments, this is a big purchase and I will have to live with this keyboard.

Reaction score

Ask a Question