Looking to get an new keyboard/organ

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to research for a few months on and off what new keyboard to get. I’m still trying to learn about all the features that are possible and to be honest it can be overwhelming like when I first began guitar haha. I currently own a Yamaha psr 275 that is less than satisfying to me. Most of the patches sound quite sterile to me but that’s to be expected I guess. Really have been getting interested in organ because I love psychedelic/prog from the 70s and have been desiring something that has organ drawbars so I can explore a couple different directions . I was looking at the studiologic numa compact 2x for awhile, which I’ve heard from videos has good organ sounds, haven’t found one I could try out though, and I think it’s a smaller scale keyboard. I was also looking at the Yamaha psr ew 425, which doesn’t have drawbars but decent sounds, but I might have to wait on it as they’re apparently backordered everywhere. I also began looking at the Casio wk 7600 which would probably be the easiest/cheapest to acquire. Heard the strings were quite sterile on the last one but I also found out you can do a bit of tone shaping on it., and it does have the drawbars. Basically I would like an all purpose keyboard but with the focus on organ. I’m thinking of getting a separate digital keyboard/acoustic when I have space for focusing on piano so piano sounds are not the most important but a plus. I have gigged before as a guitarist so I’d like to be able to have something that sounds decently ok, possibly ok enough to gig in a small bar with if I have an amp/pa system. Which of these 3 would you guys suggest? And does anyone have any suggestions not listed? I’d love to learn from you guys.

Reaction score
Oh an I should add that I’d love to buy a nord, or something extravagant like that, but due to funds cannot do that yet. I’d like to keep under $700-800 ideally but I do understand that doesn’t give me the best options. Still any help appreciated!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The Numa Compact 2X is the best choice of the 3 assuming it fits your budget. There's a helluva price swing between that and the other two.

It DOES have full sized Fatar Waterfall Keys. It has the best organ sounds of the three.

OR

You could consider MIDIfying your setup with a decent controller and an Organ Module instead. Something like the Ferrofish B4000+, (full disclosure >>> I've owned one for years)

And you could bring that together for about the same money... :)

As for a controller, depending on your preferences, buy the best one you can afford because it would be the workhorse of a modular MIDI system which you could easily integrate with your computer and hundreds of free and commercial Virtual Instruments.

Just a few thoughts...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There is not the all purpose keyboard that you seek within your budget that is organ centric.

The Numa Compact 2X has by far the best organ sounds and capabilities, it has the drawbars so infinite possibilities. There are other onboard sounds that can be layered but it is not as flexible as the Arranger keyboards by Yamaha or Casio, neither of which I would rate as having anywhere near decent onboard sounds. These other onboard sounds are pretty good but the onboard speakers are lacking in quality, its a full 88 ket, its compact and very lightweight.

I have one, it does the job for me but the OS is flaky and it works best with an iPad or better still a Laptop running the Numa Manager software.

My suggestion is to save up a shedload more cash and buy a better keyboard.

Reaction score
While I'd agree that, for organ, the Numa Compact 2X is the best of the three you mentioned, your budget would get you a used Roland VR-09, which I think is better, mostly for having a better rotary and overdrive. Each board has some advantages over the other, but for an organ focus, I'd pick the Roland.

Reaction score
The Numa Compact 2X is the best choice of the 3 assuming it fits your budget. There's a helluva price swing between that and the other two.

It DOES have full sized Fatar Waterfall Keys. It has the best organ sounds of the three.

OR

You could consider MIDIfying your setup with a decent controller and an Organ Module instead. Something like the Ferrofish B4000+, (full disclosure >>> I've owned one for years)

And you could bring that together for about the same money... :)

As for a controller, depending on your preferences, buy the best one you can afford because it would be the workhorse of a modular MIDI system which you could easily integrate with your computer and hundreds of free and commercial Virtual Instruments.

Just a few thoughts...

Gary ;)
Thank you for the advice!

Reaction score
There is not the all purpose keyboard that you seek within your budget that is organ centric.

The Numa Compact 2X has by far the best organ sounds and capabilities, it has the drawbars so infinite possibilities. There are other onboard sounds that can be layered but it is not as flexible as the Arranger keyboards by Yamaha or Casio, neither of which I would rate as having anywhere near decent onboard sounds. These other onboard sounds are pretty good but the onboard speakers are lacking in quality, its a full 88 ket, its compact and very lightweight.

I have one, it does the job for me but the OS is flaky and it works best with an iPad or better still a Laptop running the Numa Manager software.

My suggestion is to save up a shedload more cash and buy a better keyboard.
Thank you! Yeah thinking I might just save up like you’re saying.

Reaction score
While I'd agree that, for organ, the Numa Compact 2X is the best of the three you mentioned, your budget would get you a used Roland VR-09, which I think is better, mostly for having a better rotary and overdrive. Each board has some advantages over the other, but for an organ focus, I'd pick the Roland.
Honestly after seeing everything I think I might do this. I was thinking I wanted the 73 keys just to have them, but I could just adjust octaves if I really need it. I did see they have the Roland 730 but even used that jumps the price quite a bit. The 61 I’m assuming would be fine and I could always move up later if needed. Thank you for this suggestion.

Reaction score

It DOES have full sized Fatar Waterfall Keys.
Numa Compact 2X does not have waterfall keys.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Are you sure? It's made by Studiologic which is the child of parent company Fatar whose bread and butter is the production of quality keybeds.

Reaction score
Are you sure? It's made by Studiologic which is the child of parent company Fatar whose bread and butter is the production of quality keybeds.
It's Fatar but definitely not waterfall. Just look at a picture. You're thinking of the TP/8O action (waterfall, and used in assorted models from Nord, Dexibell, Hammond, Roland, Crumar, Viscount), whereas the Numa Compact series uses the TP/9P which is a different semi-weighted action, with piano-shaped (lipped) keys. (There's also a version of the TP8 that has piano-shaped keys, which has been used in a number of Kurzweils, for example.)

Reaction score
I mentioned above that VR09 has the better rotary/overdrive than Numa Compact 2X... but Numa just released an update for the rotary and overdrive. I haven't heard it yet, but that could conceivably change the landscape a bit.

Ask a Question