Looking To Jump Into The World of Moogs

Reaction score
Looking To Jump Into The World of *Synths

Hello!
Right now I only have guitar under my belt as an instrument (with some ability with a uke,) but I'm very interested in getting a *synth.
$500 (USD) is around the price range I'm going for, and a lot of people have suggested to get a microkorg.
I just want to inquire the expertise of the keyboard forums, because a lot of you have probably messed around with microkorgs, and might be able to suggest better *synths for the same price.
What really appeals to me is experimenting with a bunch of different sounds on a *synth, if that helps at all. Also, it would be better if the synth was practical for use on a stage.

*I play more to the style of indie punk/punk pop, if that helps at all! :)

Thanks again!
I apologize in advanced for my lack of knowledge when it comes to synths.

*EDIT I originally thought "moog" was just another word for synths. So "Looking to Jump Into The World of Moogs" was the original title. Sorry for the confusion.

Reaction score
Uh, what exactly do you think a Moog is? A microKorg is most certainly *not* a Moog, since it is manufactured by Korg and not Moog.

You won't be finding any Moog for $500 unless it's used and the seller has no clue to its actual worth. The Moog synths from the 70's are rare and old enough to be worth more, and the newer Moog synths that are still being sold today are much more than $500.

Also, $500 in what currency?

No one is going to be able to help you unless you can tell us whether you're looking to buy a synth or a keyboard in general. What kind of sounds do you hope to make? What styles of music do you want to play?

Reaction score
Uh, what exactly do you think a Moog is? A microKorg is most certainly *not* a Moog, since it is manufactured by Korg and not Moog.

You won't be finding any Moog for $500 unless it's used and the seller has no clue to its actual worth. The Moog synths from the 70's are rare and old enough to be worth more, and the newer Moog synths that are still being sold today are much more than $500.

Also, $500 in what currency?

No one is going to be able to help you unless you can tell us whether you're looking to buy a synth or a keyboard in general. What kind of sounds do you hope to make? What styles of music do you want to play?

Ah! So moog is a brand of synth? Every time I see a synth, someone refers to it as a "moog." I definitely have to stop that bad habit. I guess it would be like calling all guitars "Fenders."

Now (after that clear up,) I'm interested in getting a synth then. The type of music I'm interested in playing is indie punk, or punk pop if that helps.

The $500 is in USD.

I hope that helps! Again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge when it comes to synths/keyboards.

Reaction score
I honestly don't know synths that well to be able to recommend something in the low range. Just to avoid some confusion though, some keyboard manufacturers (Roland, for one), call their workstation keyboards synthesizers. Also, synthesizers won't sound like 'real' instruments. Want a B3 organ? Realistic strings? Can't do that with a synth. I don't really know the genres you play well enough to be clear on whether you'd want acoustic sounds or not though.

Reaction score
Take a look at Korg X50 - I don't know exactly how much $ they ask for them in the US, but I guess you could get one for $500.

I paid approx $400 for mine off ebay.

You may have to get a 'nearly new' one for this, but they have only been on the market a year or so - so you should get one
in good condition (maybe even still under warranty).

From what you say, I'm sure this keyboard would do all you want from a synth.
(take a look on youtube for some examples of what it can do)

Reaction score
If you're looking for a true synthesizer and you have a budget of $500 USD, then I would suggest the Roland SH-201. It is the perfect introductory synth and will allow you to learn all the basics of creating sounds.

It has two oscillators and the filters are pretty fat (for analog modeling).

I don't think you'll do any better for the money.

Reaction score
recently I've been messing about with an old analouge casio I got for like, £12 in a pawn shop, and a zoom B1 (digital multi-effects pedal, for a bass).

I am also green to the world of synths. what you could do, is buy a midi controller, or even just a home keyboard with a midi jack, hook it up to a PC and download software that emulates a synth, to get used to using it - what knobs do what etc. I don't know what software you can get that's free (or really cheap) though. but when I get a midi-compatible keyboard I plan to try this.

Reaction score
Hi there.

Well the MicroKorg you mentioned is what's known as a "virtual analogue" synthesizer. It's a cool piece of gear and great if you want plenty of retro synthesizer sounds and lots of editing tools to play with in order to shape those sounds and create your own leads, bass sounds, etc. It also has a vocoder, which allows you to speak into the synth through a microphone to distort your voice in a robotic manner, which is a cool feature. Important things to bear in mind however is that the maximum polyphony of the MK (meaning the maximum number of notes that can be played simultaneously) is four. The keyboard also takes a little getting used to as it's build makes it feel slightly flimsy and toy-like, but the sounds it can make are brilliant, and it's very portable and light in weight.

There's a useful video demo of the original MK on gearwire.com I seem to recall. The new MicroKorg, the MicroKorg XL, may also be in your price range, and it's also great, but I prefer the original I think.

On the other hand, if you're wanting a more traditional keyboard with sounds like strings, brass, pianos, organs etc, then a number of decent Yamaha keyboards will be in your price range.

I hope that helps you.

recently I've been messing about with an old analouge casio I got for like, £12 in a pawn shop, and a zoom B1 (digital multi-effects pedal, for a bass).

I am also green to the world of synths. what you could do, is buy a midi controller, or even just a home keyboard with a midi jack, hook it up to a PC and download software that emulates a synth, to get used to using it - what knobs do what etc. I don't know what software you can get that's free (or really cheap) though. but when I get a midi-compatible keyboard I plan to try this.

There is a free software synth called "Synthmaster Free", you could try that.

Ask a Question