MIDI Keyboard 61 keys - help!

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for a good MIDI keyboard with 61 keys and some good customization controls (buttons, dials etc...).

The issue I'm having is finding a good one that is within my budget of about £200 and that has a built in speaker or headphone support.

Does anyone know any good products that fit this criteria?

Thanks in advance.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Are you looking for a MIDI keyboard controller (with no built-in sounds), or a portable keyboard (with built-in sounds)?

Controllers don't need built-in speakers and headphone jacks.

But inexpensive portable ROMpler keyboards don't often have many buttons, knobs, etc., for customizing the sounds.

Reaction score
Are you looking for a MIDI keyboard controller (with no built-in sounds), or a portable keyboard (with built-in sounds)?

Controllers don't need built-in speakers and headphone jacks.

But inexpensive portable ROMpler keyboards don't often have many buttons, knobs, etc., for customizing the sounds.

Hey, I'm looking for a MIDI keyboard controller. You were saying they don't need speakers or headphones, why is this?

Thanks.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Because the first thing about MIDI controllers is that they don't have any sound generating circuitry. What would go into the speakers?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
If you want an inexpensive keyboard controller that also has speakers, one option could be to get an inexpensive portable keyboard that's velocity sensitive, and for more buttons and knobs and sliders you could get a launchpad-style controller. I'm assuming you'd have everything connected to a computer that's running a DAW and/or virtual instruments. You could connect the computer's audio out to the keyboard's auxiliary audio in. A new Yamaha PSR-E353, or used PSR-E343, has a velocity-sensitive keyboard as well as an auxiliary in audio jack, plus built-in speakers and a headphones jack. An earlier model won't have an auxiliary in audio jack, and a lower model (PSR-E2xx/YPT-2xx) won't have a velocity-sensitive keyboard. But the PSR-E3xx/YPT-3xx models don't have a lot of buttons, knobs, sliders, etc. for controlling stuff in your DAW or virtual instruments, which a non-keyboard controller can supply.

Ask a Question