MIDI Keyboard worked Friday, didn't work Sunday

Reaction score
Hello. This is my first post. I am desperate.

I have the a CASIO PX-575R. I previously installed the appropriate drivers and the keyboard was working fine. I've recorded with it multiple times, last using it Friday (7/20/18). I only started using it for MIDI about a month ago. I returned to record more Sunday and...nothing. FL Studio doesn't recognize it. My computer doesn't appear to recognize it. So I did the following things:
Restarting my computer and FL Studio
Uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled them
Used a different MIDI cable
Used another MIDI device with the same and different cables (worked fine)

The keyboard turns on fine and works alone (it's a standalone keyboard with external power). It just stopped working as a MIDI device and now the computer doesn't recognize it. It also doesn't come up in the Device Manager.

So tonight I tried to install the drivers on my girlfriend's computer and was given a message stating that would not install on this version of Windows. This is the same version as my computer - Windows 10. So look into it more and I find these:
https://support.casio.com/en/support/osdevicePage.php?cid=008002002
https://support.casio.com/en/support/information.php?cid=008&pid=614

They appear to indicate that the drivers don't work with Windows 10. How!? It just worked last week! Anyways, I know I had a Windows update last week. Here is the website description for the update:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4338832/security-update-for-adobe-flash-player

I greatly, GREATLY appreciate any and all help. I've felt quite deflated. I don't know what's going on.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
First of all, you say that you "Used a different MIDI cable." I don't see any MIDI IN/OUT ports pictured in the User Guide, so I'm guessing that you meant to say "USB cable."

I would think that the USB-MIDI driver should work fine under Windows 10-- especially if it was working last week-- although it does seem odd that it's flagged as being incompatible on that Casio Support page.

One possibility that comes to mind is the USB port on the computer and/or the USB cable that you're using. In particular, it seems that many people have experienced problems with USB-MIDI connections when they use a USB 3.0 port or cable.

If your computer has more than one USB port (which is usually the case), check to see if they are USB 2.0 ports or USB 3.0 ports. (I believe USB 3.0 ports usually have blue-colored parts to help visually distinguish them from USB 2.0 ports.)

If your computer has both USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports, make sure you're connecting your keyboard to a USB 2.0 port.

If your computer has only USB 3.0 ports, at least make sure you're connecting your keyboard using a USB 2.0 cable.

I'm not certain, but I think most of Casio's keyboards are supposed to be class-compliant, such that they ought to work with a computer without you having to install the Casio USB-MIDI driver.

But if you do find it necessary to install the Casio USB-MIDI driver, make sure you're choosing the correct bit version (32 bit or 64 bit) depending on whether your computer runs 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows.

Aside from those ideas, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than to contact Casio Support directly and hope that you get a support representative who knows his or her stuff.

Reaction score
I think that you have stated the source of your problem ..... the Windows update.

There is a saying .... if it aint broke dont fix it.

Windows is a cr4p operating system and when auto updates is turned on it is a case of waiting for the problems to happen.

Whilst it is of no help now, once you have it sorted, turn off auto updates, do a full backup of your boot drive. Then if you want to update, backup again (do not overwrite the previous backup) then update, if all is OK then fine, if not restore earlier backup.

Reaction score
First of all, you say that you "Used a different MIDI cable." I don't see any MIDI IN/OUT ports pictured in the User Guide, so I'm guessing that you meant to say "USB cable."

I would think that the USB-MIDI driver should work fine under Windows 10-- especially if it was working last week-- although it does seem odd that it's flagged as being incompatible on that Casio Support page.

One possibility that comes to mind is the USB port on the computer and/or the USB cable that you're using. In particular, it seems that many people have experienced problems with USB-MIDI connections when they use a USB 3.0 port or cable.

If your computer has more than one USB port (which is usually the case), check to see if they are USB 2.0 ports or USB 3.0 ports. (I believe USB 3.0 ports usually have blue-colored parts to help visually distinguish them from USB 2.0 ports.)

If your computer has both USB 2.0 ports and USB 3.0 ports, make sure you're connecting your keyboard to a USB 2.0 port.

If your computer has only USB 3.0 ports, at least make sure you're connecting your keyboard using a USB 2.0 cable.

I'm not certain, but I think most of Casio's keyboards are supposed to be class-compliant, such that they ought to work with a computer without you having to install the Casio USB-MIDI driver.

But if you do find it necessary to install the Casio USB-MIDI driver, make sure you're choosing the correct bit version (32 bit or 64 bit) depending on whether your computer runs 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows.

Aside from those ideas, I'm not sure what to suggest, other than to contact Casio Support directly and hope that you get a support representative who knows his or her stuff.

Yes, you are correct. It's a USB cable.

I've tried all three USB ports. Not sure if they are 2.0 or 3.0, but I tried them all. I also used different USB cables. Still, no luck.

Reaction score
I think that you have stated the source of your problem ..... the Windows update.

There is a saying .... if it aint broke dont fix it.

Windows is a cr4p operating system and when auto updates is turned on it is a case of waiting for the problems to happen.

Whilst it is of no help now, once you have it sorted, turn off auto updates, do a full backup of your boot drive. Then if you want to update, backup again (do not overwrite the previous backup) then update, if all is OK then fine, if not restore earlier backup.

I hate to think this is the case as I am a casual musician and want my computer to be up to date, but not at the price of all of this.

Reaction score
I think that you have stated the source of your problem ..... the Windows update
This. Whenever there is an Android update many of my custom phone settings are overwritten.The windows update most likely overwrote some settings.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I was just able to install the driver on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer, but I no longer have my CTK-710 to test with because I gave it to my sister-in-law. If necessary, I can try to borrow it from her to test with.

Since you said you weren't able to install the driver, but I was, try the following to see if it helps:

UNINSTALL THE ALREADY-INSTALLED DRIVER

(1) Click the "Notifications" icon in the bottom far right corner of the taskbar (looks like a cartoon speech box).

(2) Select "All settings."

(3) Select "Apps" and be patient while Windows gathers up the information it needs to list the installed apps.

(4) Scroll down and look for "Windows Driver Package - CASIO (CCUSBMIDI)" or something similar.

(5) If you find it, click on it and select "Uninstall," then confirm that you want to uninstall it.

DOWNLOAD AND UNZIP THE DRIVER

(1) Assuming you have 64-bit Windows 10, go to the following web page and select "I agree":
https://support.casio.com/en/support/download.php?cid=008&pid=72

(2) Indicate that you want to save the file.

(3) Go to the location where the file was saved (which is probably "Downloads").

(4) Right-click on the file and select "Properties."

(5) Near the bottom of the properties window, check the box that says "Unblock," then click "OK."

(6) Open the zipped file and, in the top right area of the window. select "Extract all," then extract it.

INSTALL THE DRIVER

(1) Make sure the keyboard is disconnected from the computer.

(2) Open the extracted "CCUSBX64_INST" folder (which is probably in the "Downloads").

(3) If necessary, open the "CCUSBX64_INST" folder that's nested inside the extracted folder.

(4) Right-click on the "dpinst.exe" file, select "Run as administrator," and proceed as directed.

TEST THE DRIVER INSTALLATION

(1) Turn off the keyboard.

(2) Connect the keyboard to the computer via a USB 2.0 cable, using a USB 2.0 port if available.

(3) Turn on the keyboard.

(4) Go into your MIDI software and see whether the keyboard is detected.

Reaction score
I was just able to install the driver on my 64-bit Windows 10 computer, but I no longer have my CTK-710 to test with because I gave it to my sister-in-law. If necessary, I can try to borrow it from her to test with.

Since you said you weren't able to install the driver, but I was, try the following to see if it helps:

I can download and install the driver (and subsequently uninstall it). I still can't get my computer to actually recognize the keyboard itself. I follow your patiently transcribed instructions and it still doesn't work. I plug it in and nothing happens. FL Studio doesn't recognize any MIDI device connected. I check try to look for it in "Device Manager" and there isn't anything for the Casio. My computer doesn't respond with any notification like it usually would, such as "New device detected." It's like I connected a lamp to my computer - nothing changes, nothing I can find can detect it.

For what it's worth I followed these instructions from this forum when I tried to uninstall the driver:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=102&t=508463&p=7131761#p7131761

"I'm pretty new to all of this stuff. How would I uninstall the drivers and make the MIDI class compliant?

I'll do my best.
a) have a look at Control Panel -> Programs and Features
See anything Casio and midi something there - uninstall it.
b) Then Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager
The Sound, Video and game controllers(this is Windows 7, Windows 10 might name it differently)
Plug Casio into usb - If it's properly uninstalled before you should get message that new hardware found and drivers installed or similar(this might not happend if not recognized, as you mention).

If it's listed though, rightclick on it - and do uninstall - then Action menu and do scan for hardware changes. Then it's initiated like when plugged in first time - with no sign of it in registry in windows - which is a good thing here - fresh install.

It may show up as Unknown - usually in red. If so same procedure - uninstall and then scan for hardware changes.

If it's still not listed - look at View menu - and choose show hidden devices. You will get a listing in gray of those currently not present."

I was able to uninstall it but couldn't understand the instructions for what to do next. The Casio wasn't recognized by my computer anymore since a week or so ago, but after I deleted the driver it now doesn't come up at all, while before it only found in "Show hidden devices."

Reaction score
I didn't read all the posts, but: did you accidentally change the midi channel (or any other midi setting) on the Casio?
I just reviewed the MIDI settings in the Casio and didn't find much, apparently just things like changing the accompaniment settings. Good idea though.

Reaction score
Is there any device at all that you can see in the Compuers Device Manager that looks like your keyboard?

Allowing Windows to scan and install drivers automatically will not necessarily have the correct driver installed.

Manually updating the driver may result in a resolution to your problem.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
To be honest, it's beginning to sound like there might be a problem with the USB port on the PX-575R. For instance, I've heard that the socket on a USB port can become too loose to hold a cable properly and maintain a connection. If the USB cables work fine with other devices, and if multiple computers can't detect the keyboard, then suspicion falls upon the keyboard, because with or without a driver installed the computer should still be able to detect the keyboard as some sort of USB device.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To be honest I mentioned in the very first reply that Casio runs its own forum over at http://casiomusicforums.com which is staffed by among others, Casio Support People.

At this point if it is a hardware issue then you're probably going to have to find a qualified technician to troubleshoot the issue.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I took a quick look at the manual for that thing. It's so old it runs under Windows XP and Windows 98.

The only thing I can suggest is to first uninstall the driver and then reinstall the driver by right clicking on the setup file in windows exploder, and choosing to run in compatibility mode for XP or 98.

To be honest I'm amazed it installed at all on Win 10 without compatibility mode in the first place.

If that doesn't work then contact Casio tech support. It's up to them to provide drivers for legacy products.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I took a quick look at the manual for that thing. It's so old it runs under Windows XP and Windows 98.

The only thing I can suggest is to first uninstall the driver and then reinstall the driver by right clicking on the setup file in windows exploder, and choosing to run in compatibility mode for XP or 98.

To be honest I'm amazed it installed at all on Win 10 without compatibility mode in the first place.

If that doesn't work then contact Casio tech support. It's up to them to provide drivers for legacy products.

Gary ;)

I've called Casio. They were no help, just saying the driver was the problem. Which may be legitimately the case.

I tried to install the driver on my gf's computer again. I got it to install but still no recognition. Then again, she has Windows 10 as well.

At this point I'm confident it's not my computer, but either the Windows update or the Casio.

Ask a Question