MIDI Keyboard

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was first interested in getting myself a synthesizer and in the end decided upon getting a Korg microKorg XL. But then thinking back to my previous experience with my bass guitar I think it would be best for me to learn the theory behind the instrument. With the bass I ended up getting really good at playing tabbed music, but when it came to reading bass line music, I could read the notes but had to work a heck of a lot to figure out where they go on the fretboard.

SO I figure it would be best for me to get a MIDI keyboard which I can use to learn the piano properly and then transfer the skills gained across to playing synth parts, Getting a reasonably 'long' keyboard would also allow me to extend the range on the miniature microKorg plus have fullsize keys.

I've been looking at the M-Audio Keystation 88es. I know some people say yeah its good value for money but can anyone tell me if it would be any good to learn with? I'd say £200 is the most id want to pay to kick off with but I'd be willing to go a little higher if it had good features like hammer action. I do like the idea of having the whole range of an 88 key board, but if I could get a 61 key cheaper with better features then I'd certainly consider it!

TL;DR, Enjoy music as a hobby, I want a midi keyboard costing about £200 for me to learn piano on but be able to transfer for use with a synth. Any help is greatly appreciated :D

Cheers

Lewis

P.S. Ive got a super speedy laptop that I'd have no trouble installing DAW software etc. on :D

Reaction score
Sorry Lewis,

You want a Mercedes for the price of a second hand Volkswagen. (Like we all do in fact)
For 200 Pounds or a little more you can't get much more than a basic keyboard if we are talking about NEW..
Hammer action and a full keypad 76 or 88 keys? think about minimal 3 times as much money.
Have a look on EBay, some people picked up a real good one for little money.

DickR

Reaction score
I thought as much, the 88es did seem cheap in comparison to all the others :) the cheapest hammer keyboard I could find was the m-audio pro keys 88, and a few reviewers didnt have a good word to say about it.

I'm just going to get the 88es, I suppose its a reasonable first keyboard and if I do end up playing more seriously, then I could easily sell it and put it towards getting something better, people still seem to eat them up on ebay :D

Thanks for replying though

Lewis

Reaction score
Good luck Lewis,

Before you do, have a good look at the latest Casio keyboards. For the money they are great and they have a LOT that other brands only have in the far more expensive range! Don't see them as toys because they are not.

Ask a Question