Midi setup for live perfomances

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a new member of this forum, and today I'm going to ask to you a big question.

I play with a rock band with some friends, and with them I have to play a lot of different sounds (Hammond, also with overdrive, Lead, Piano, Electric Piano, Clavinet, strings and some others synth sounds), so I want to extend my live setup (now I use a Roland vr-09) with a 88keys midi controller; I've got a good computer, but i don't know nothing about midi connections.

So,how can I use well my Vst plugins (with a daw?) and how can I organize my live setup?

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english:)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What brand of computer? Apple, Windows or Linux?

Also, what make and model of controller?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well regardless of which controller you buy, the basic procedure is to plug the controller into the computer (usually with a USB AB cable) then load up a VST Host program to run the VSTi without a DAW.

You'd also require cabling and a mixer to output your computer and your Roland to the amp or the house sound system you'd be playing thru.

You may also run into problems with Windows latency when playing the controller thru the PC. I'd suggest keeping all extra software on the machine to a bare minimum and doing a google search on how to control MIDI latency problems.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question