Help With Live MIDI Setup

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and am in the process of changing my live setup from a Korg Triton Extreme keyboard over to midi. I've messed around with Reason and Ableton Live, and I've encountered the same problem using both programs. I'm using an Akai MPK88.

I switch sounds pretty frequently throughout our songs, so I'm trying to be able to switch patches as smoothly as possible.

The problem I come across is that when I hold out a sound, say a string sound, holding the sustain pedal, and then switch to another sound, say a piano, the switch is fine and quick but the previous patch (the string sound) continues to ring out forever (until I close the file). Seems that the program, whether Reason or Ableton, doesn't acknowledge a pedal off signal when the sound is switched.

How can I set up so this doesn't happen? I don't want to run the risk of playing a show and suddenly having a pad or string sound ring out eternally.

I'm very new to all of this, and appreciate any answers! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Somehow you need to send a midi command for "note off" on the channel that is being sustained. Maybe someone else here can offer an idea of how that might be done from your controller. Don

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sounds like a software bug to me. I'd suggest filing a bug report with the software's authors and keeping your fingers crossed in hope of a timely fix.

Otherwise if you really need it now for gigging perhaps you should invest in a hardware sound module from Korg or Roland or Yamaha to tide you over until your software is thoroughly debugged.

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the help. I feel like what I'm trying to do has to be a pretty common thing. Do you guys know whether or not this a strange thing to be figuring out?

Happyrat, do you know if what I'm trying to do works on the hardware modules you're talking about? On my Triton Extreme I was able to do this kind of thing no problem, and so I did it a lot. I hope it's an easy, doable thing. We gig in Europe pretty frequently, and bringing a 63lb keyboard with a 36lb case is becoming less and less feasible. I thought midi would be an easier changeover than renting a keyboard when I go there.

Appreciate any more answers you guys could give. Thank you!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Ask a Question