Mini-Moog

Reaction score
I've played a voyager, but it feels a bit like cheating since it's digitally controlled. Arturia's emulators are great fun if you want a taste of the experience - I just have the demos which cut the sounds periodically and you can't save, but it still feels good to have that warm analog sound...

Reaction score
are the new minimoogs still made with the same circuitry, or are the inners all digital ?

I was playing a tiny Korg synth in a music shop today - it was really cool, I thought cos it was tiny it'd not sound very big, But it sounded huge!
It was digital though, I didn't have a clue what all the buttons etc. did.

Reaction score
are the new minimoogs still made with the same circuitry, or are the inners all digital ?

The new Minimoog's are 100% analog through the entire signal path. Only the "front end" for patch assignment, storage and recall are digital. While the circuitry has been updated (still analog), the oscillators don't drift, nor require an hour of warm up time before you can actually use the thing. It's just a more stable beast than the old Model D's. I used to have to plug mine in at least an hour before a show, or just leave it pluged in all the time in the studio or I'd have to constantly tweak the "fine tune" knob to bring it in tune.

If you really want to create each patch by hand, every time you need to play, then buy the soon to be discontinued "Old School" version of the Voyager. No midi, digital display, no patch banks, NOTHNG. Just twiddle and fiddle!! The signal path remains the same as all the other new voyagers though.

You won't find a digital filter or oscillator anywhere on this baby. I just got my new Voyager Electric Blue and it's a monster.

Reaction score
Yup. Still monophonic, but it's the best monophone synth on the planet.

I can't wait for them to come out with a Polymoog replacement!!

the polymoog was paraphonic, right? like, it produced more than one signal at once, but it all got processed though the one filter etc.?

sorry, as you can probably tell I'm pretty green when it comes to this stuff...

Reaction score
Yes , that's largely correct. When really thinking about it, the polymoog wasn't that great of a machine, even though it had the Moog filter, et al.

I think I'm waiting for a Moog response to a Dave Smith Instruments Prophet 8, or something of a similar nature. 8 voices (at least), all analog,baslically like an 8 voice minimoog. That would be the bomb!

Moog . . . . we're waiting!!!!

Reaction score
I fancie a taurus pedal - but moog stuff is so expensive! I was thinking of getting a similar effect on the cheap with a set of MIDI organ pedals and a sound module, or make one myself maybe (not a whole synth, just like, butcher an old keyboard or something...) I don't know, will have to think about it a bit more before I do anything.

Ask a Question