MODx scenes

Reaction score
If you save it under a new name with those edits applied, yes, I believe so!

Old No7

Reaction score
If you save it under a new name with those edits applied, yes, I believe so!

Old No7
Why do I need to rename the original performance? The key range stays the same as scene 1. I don’t think scenes memorize the key range movements.

Reaction score
I keep all factory sounds as they are, and rename them saved to my user list if/when I modify them. You don't have to do it that way, but I've successfully done what you want (changing the key ranges, saved for future recall) on the sounds that I've modified.

Old No7

Reaction score
* Honest admission *
I still have much to learn about my MODX and how to maximize its capabilities. I'm now thinking my comment applies to a single scene, not to multiples, but I know I've saved tones with different key ranges for tones within one saved scene (such as tympani for left hand, horns & brass for right for "Fanfare For the Common Man"), but I've not done it for multiple scenes within a performance. (You don't have to save your edits as a new name in the user folder -- but that's what I do, so the factory sound/scene is not modified.) I do think what you want is possible though, and maybe some others will chime in.

Old No7

Reaction score
I keep all factory sounds as they are, and rename them saved to my user list if/when I modify them. You don't have to do it that way, but I've successfully done what you want (changing the key ranges, saved for future recall) on the sounds that I've modified.

Old No7
Thanks for the reply. But, I am speaking directly to scene programming. I don’t think u understand that part. I’m pretty sure it won’t remember range edits from scene to scene.

Reaction score
I keep all factory sounds as they are, and rename them saved to my user list if/when I modify them. You don't have to do it that way
Actually, I think you DO have to do it that way. I don't think you can alter factory performances. Any change you make can be saved as a new performance, but while you can overwrite your own performances, I don't think you can overwrite factory ones.

I am speaking directly to scene programming....I’m pretty sure it won’t remember range edits from scene to scene.
I believe that is correct. The scenes memorize the "real time" changes, not the part edits, which have to be saved as their own modified parts. IOW, I think the way to use a scene to alter the ranges of a sounds would be to save copies of those sounds into additional part locations, and use the scene function to switch to the parts that have the sounds with the key ranges you want. So for example, if you want to switch from having a string sound play on the top two octaves to having that string sound play on the top three octaves, you'd create a Part with the two octaves of strings (let's say in Part 3), and another Part with the three octaves of that same string sounds (let's say in Part 4). Then you could have one scene where Part 3 is active and Part 4 is not, which would give you the strings on two octaves, and you could create another scene where Part 4 is active and Part 3 is not, which would give you that same string sound in three octaves. This would allow you to use Scenes to switch key ranges for a sound. The main limitation to this is that you can't have more than 8 Parts in total. So if you want to use Scenes to switch key ranges on multiple sounds, you're going to burn through Parts pretty quickly, So then the better approach might be to turn those different key range combinations into their own Performances, and put those Performances into adjacent Live Set locations. That would give you some side-by-side named touchscreen buttons to switch among these same sounds, but with different key ranges.

Reaction score
Actually, I think you DO have to do it that way. I don't think you can alter factory performances. Any change you make can be saved as a new performance, but while you can overwrite your own performances, I don't think you can overwrite factory ones.

I believe that is correct. The scenes memorize the "real time" changes, not the part edits, which have to be saved as their own modified parts. IOW, I think the way to use a scene to alter the ranges of a sounds would be to save copies of those sounds into additional part locations, and use the scene function to switch to the parts that have the sounds with the key ranges you want. So for example, if you want to switch from having a string sound play on the top two octaves to having that string sound play on the top three octaves, you'd create a Part with the two octaves of strings (let's say in Part 3), and another Part with the three octaves of that same string sounds (let's say in Part 4). Then you could have one scene where Part 3 is active and Part 4 is not, which would give you the strings on two octaves, and you could create another scene where Part 4 is active and Part 3 is not, which would give you that same string sound in three octaves. This would allow you to use Scenes to switch key ranges for a sound. The main limitation to this is that you can't have more than 8 Parts in total. So if you want to use Scenes to switch key ranges on multiple sounds, you're going to burn through Parts pretty quickly, So then the better approach might be to turn those different key range combinations into their own Performances, and put those Performances into adjacent Live Set locations. That would give you some side-by-side named touchscreen buttons to switch among these same sounds, but with different key ranges.
Yes that is the work around

Reaction score

Yes, that is the work around

Ask a Question