MODX8+ sounds now sound "broken", especially electric piano and bass instruments

Reaction score
It's a new keyboard, so I'm not familiar with all the settings. I was programming new performances and had successfully set up three of them (splitting the keyboard and assigning different instruments to each range, nothing too fancy). Then a little later, I noticed that some of the MODX sounds don't sound right. Most noticeable was the electric keyboard sounds. As I go through all the selections they all sound basically the same - weak, distant, muffled. I also notice the bass selections do not sound like basses at all. The organ and grand piano selections sound mostly ok, though maybe not quite as distinctive as I remember them.

Because I'm so new to the keyboard, I wasn't sure at first if I was just unfamiliar with how they were supposed to sound, so I went to the store today and checked out the display keyboard there. Yep. The sounds are very different - robust, distinct, full.

Now I tried doing all three of the different factory resets in the utilities menu. It erased all my user-defined performances that I had created (I had only made 3). But the keyboard (electric piano) and bass sounds (and maybe others) are still messed up. The best description I can give would be to say that a lot of the sounds now sound sort of cheap - like an old 1980s synthesizer, not like the the really full, spacious layered sounds that the keyboard came with.

I'm only guessing, but it sounds like either one of the tone generators isn't working or some effect has been turned off. But being a noob I have no clue where to look and since the factory resets didn't work, I don't know what to do next.

Anybody have any ideas?

Reaction score
What are you playing back through?

Try listening to your unit and the one in the store through the same set of headphones, to confirm that the two still sound different even when played through the exact same thing.

Reaction score
What are you playing back through?

Try listening to your unit and the one in the store through the same set of headphones, to confirm that the two still sound different even when played through the exact same thing.
No, it doesn't matter if it's through speakers or headphones. The sound is radically different. The electric piano sounds are now clinky, distant, and airy - it's like 10% normal volume. The grand piano sounds are pretty much unchanged - still full, sound like they're right in front of you (although again, I feel like they're missing some of the atmospheric quality they previously had, but the volume is good.) And the bass sounds are just plinky sounds with no low tone at all. Brass and woodwinds are still full volume, but they sound...cheap.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Considering you said it's a brand new board, you should be contacting the Yamaha warranty people.

Ask a Question