USB to add additional synthesized sounds

Reaction score
I have a Roland FP-30 which has I think a total of 8 different choices for synthesized sounds. I got it primarily for the feel of the keys and the base sound of the piano. That said, if later down the line, I wanted to open it up to a whole library of synthesis, is there a USB add on that would take the keystroke data and give me access to a large library of sounds? Of course, I don’t expect that library to be playable through the keyboard’s built in speakers (though if I can add choices through a USB stick, that would be pretty cool). I expect that if there is an option to do this, my only choice would be external speakers.

There is also a midi port on the back, but it appears to be intended for adding additional foot pedals. Not sure if it can be repurposed for additional sound effects.

Reaction score
I have a Roland FP-30 which has I think a total of 8 different choices for synthesized sounds.
It has 35 sounds total.

Piano: 6 Tones
E.Piano: 7 Tones
Other: 22 Tones

I don't know which you are characterizing as "synthesized," but all sounds are sample-based, except the "SuperNATURAL" piano which is sampling+modeling.

if later down the line, I wanted to open it up to a whole library of synthesis, is there a USB add on that would take the keystroke data and give me access to a large library of sounds?

There are some sound modules that can work this way (made by companies like V3, Crumar/GSI, Dexibell), or an iPhone/iPad can similarly be used as a USB sound source, as can a Mac/Windows computer.

There is also a midi port on the back, but it appears to be intended for adding additional foot pedals. Not sure if it can be repurposed for additional sound effects.

There is no MIDI port on the back, but there are USB host adapters which will connect to the USB jack and give you traditional 5-pin MIDI connectors, which then opens up a wider range of modules you can connect to. (The iPhone/iPad and computer approaches can also provide this function.)

Reaction score
Also, what software do I need to accomplish this? What do you recommend? Is there a place to get decent VSTi files for free, or do they cost as well?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sound will output from your computer's soundcard.

Google VSTi Host and Free VSTis to educate yourself on the process.

Also check youtube for video instructions.

Gary ;)

PS. personally I don't use them so I can't give any current recommendations.

Reaction score
VST Hosts with free or cheap versions:

Cantabile - PC only
Camelot Pro - cross platform
Mainstage (AU rather than VST format, but same idea) - Mac only

Ask a Question