My First Workstation

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm in the market for my first workstation, and in my research I've come across 3 possibilities for my 1K budget:

Yamaha MO6 61-key
Roland GW-8 Keyboard Workstation
Korg M50 61-key Music Workstation

Now, I don't really know if the Yamaha is an actual workstation.

I'm looking mainly user friendlyness, sound quality and a decent sequencer.

If anyone is up right now I would appreciate some input. I'll wait for about 3 hours. If anwers come (which is completly understandable give the time). I might go for the
Yamaha MO6 61-key.

Thanks to everyone in advance:cool:

Reaction score
I would recommend you buying the Korg M50. I think it is a better workstation and it has a really friendly interface with the touch screen and all. Sound wise it's also pretty good, it has good pads, synths, but not that good piano sounds. It's great 'cause it has 5 insert effect one of which is distortion really useful if you're designing an organ sound or a powerful lead. Also I would recommend the Korg because it has newer technology on board, plus a 16 channel sequencer. I must warn you that the key-bed is horrible, it don't know what you accustomed to but for me, being used to weighted keys, it's just horrible.

As far as roland is concerned, i'm not a big fan. They tend to overprice their products and don't offer any outstanding features.

Hoped I helped.

Reaction score
Yamaha just came out w/ a new versio of the M- series, check it out! It has great sounds taken from the XS series. Other than that, the KORG M 50 has a good user interface, but bad piano sounds.

Reaction score
Well thankfully, I decided in the end to buy the Korg M50; maybe it was just the rep that korg has.

At first first I was inclined to buy the Yamaha MO because I've used the Motif xs series and the XF and they were super user-friendly, but I couldn't find a good convincing reviews that spoke well about the workstation capabilities. The sounds on the xs series were great but the xs was out of my price range.

As for piano sounds I have an old Yamaha DGX 205 76-key that has a decent grand piano sound, everything else is pretty much crap in this keyboard.

As for keybed feel, aside that that I have my own piano, yes I've read about the toy-like keys of the M50; but I've tried a Roland Phantom G8 and a Yamaha Motif XF8 and they simply doesn't feel like a true acoustic piano, grand or vertical. So as for feeling, in my opinion, they will never have that chicken-skin feel that a real piano makes you feel.

I changed my mind from the MO to the M50 in the last second not really knowing what was I doing, but thanks for taking away some of my worries. I guess in the distand future I'll have to buy a stage piano.

Thanks for everything to everyone.

Reaction score
What new version of M-series?Do you mean Motif or MO ? I can't understand.

I think it's the MO- series. It's designed to be simple yet powerful. Check Yamaha's website and look for their newest synthesizer/workstation

Ask a Question