My problem with fully weighted

Reaction score
Happy Hacker says: "Anyway I bought fully weighted but the return on the keys hit quite heavily on the supporting pad strip causing a thump to echo through the floor annoying others in the house."
I presume that your house has wooden floors with joists and not a concrete floor, as is usually the case in flats.
Your comment is a bit worrying because we're about to move from a house to a flat: I have a Yamaha Silent Piano, which changes to digital when I depress the centre pedal. I was not anticipating problems because I can play through small speakers on the top of the piano. However, I hadn't thought about the thumping of keys. I will probably stand the piano on a piece of carpet with underlay.
M

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Mikeo1938:

You can replay to something you quoted within the same post. Just put your cursor after the last bracket at the end of the quote, hit enter, and start typing. That puts the quote in the box, and your reply after the box.

Reaction score
I have a Nord Stage 2 SW73. You might check the Nord User Forum. The Stage 2 is known for the problem you describe, so beware more money doesn't necessarily mean quieter.

Reaction score
I have a Nord Stage 2 SW73. You might check the Nord User Forum. The Stage 2 is known for the problem you describe, so beware more money doesn't necessarily mean quieter.

I don't know what you are implying with the more informed comment, but it's rude to asks someone to do 4 different tests for you. I had made a recording of it that I was going to post. But since you aren't interested in my opinion I will withhold it.
Cheers!

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
JunoDS88, you have successfully confused me with your last two posts.

(According to my wife, confusing me isn't all that difficult.)

Reaction score
JunoDS88, you have successfully confused me with your last two posts.

(According to my wife, confusing me isn't all that difficult.)
Sorry, I was replying to HappyHacker and wasn't feeling to hot, and I got really irritated suddenly, next thing I know I'm praying to the porcelain god about 20 times. Called Poison Control Center. I literally think I ate some bad Spaghettios. And food poising makes you irratable (I read afterwards.) so please disregard. Sorry Happy

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
Sorry, I was replying to HappyHacker and wasn't feeling to hot, and I got really irritated suddenly, next thing I know I'm praying to the porcelain god about 20 times. Called Poison Control Center. I literally think I ate some bad Spaghettios. And food poising makes you irratable (I read afterwards.) so please disregard. Sorry Happy

Feel better. If it's food poisoning, I doubt that Poison Control can do anything. Luckily, most food poisoning passes. If you're still feeling really bad, think about throwing up at the emergency room.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chef BoyArDee is an insult to the gods of fine Italian Cuisine and if you suffer gastric distress from consuming their "garbage in a can" you have none other to blame than yourself. :)

Seriously though, other than a vigorous session of squirting from both ends for the next 24 hours I'd advise consuming some Pepto Bismol and clear broth when you are finally able to keep anything down again.

The good news is that it's not Botulism else you'd be dead already so in the words of the new testament, "This too shall pass. .." :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Lol. Well thank you! I am recovering somewhat. I forgot about pepto thanks for reminding me, and yes consuming that garbage was a mistake!

Reaction score
i have a digital piano with these keys. Now, I guess I bought it because I needed to simulate learning on a "real" piano. But I am unlikely to use a real piano! Anyway I bought fully weighted but the return on the keys hit quite heavily on the supporting pad strip causing a thump to echo through the floor annoying others in the house. I am not sure if using a "springy" support frame instead of the shop bought stand will change things?
Note I have headphones so all they hear is " thud, thud, thud! So if I get semi-weighted keys is this problem going to go away? Or should I go for non weighted?

Side-note: I like the look of the Nord stage 2 and this comes in various forms of key dynamics. Would prefer though before paying out again to get some advice from the better informed on this forum. Thanks for your time.
Try using a rubber floor padding underneath the keyboard. I don't think getting non-weighed will help that much. Good luck!

Reaction score
I have the same problem. I have a VERY sensitive downstairs neighbor who sleeps at odd hours. I've had luck decoupling the keyboard from the stand. I just throw some folded up towels under there, and I THINK it's helped a lot (no more complaints). Theoretically, cotton is one of the best vibration absorbers out there per cubic inch, besides fiberboard, so that makes sense. Just stay away from squishy foam, that won't do anything.

Not sure how much unweighted will make a difference. Well, it might. I think one of the main factors is the physical weight of the board. I went from a 55lb board (Alesis QS8) to a 25lb board (Arturia Keylab 88), and it seemed to help a lot, and unweighted boards are much lighter. But the stiffness of the action itself isn't really going to make a difference. I'd never sacrifice weighted action, anyway, but that's just the way I roll.

Reaction score
This is very true. Yesterday I was practicing with headphones on, my wife was studying downstairs. Non-weighted keyboard, carpeted floors, modern house. She said she could hear me bashing away on the keybed!
and.......? :)

Reaction score
If I had a keyboardist in the same household and heard flurries of pecking and pounding I think I might be trying to figure out what they were playing. Hard for me to imagine since I never had that.

Reaction score
I'd love to see a 6 hour video of you doodling around. It would put some real interesting perspective on the real life of a pro keyboardist. And you know, I love listening to my own doodling for hours, especially to fall asleep to, and its likely nothing in comparison to yours.

Hey maybe we need one of those 24hr livecam channels of a keyboardist like they do eagle nests and things :D:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Haha, thanks for the compliment but you'd likely be disappointed!

I generally only play for sessions of 45 minutes to one hour max. Any more than that and mental fatigue creeps in. I try to practice for short amounts of time frequently, rather than for big long chunks of time.

I also have to confess I don't really "doodle" much. I'm fairly time poor with a part-time day job and also playing in three bands, plus wanting to spend as much quality family time as possible. So this means that my practice time is quite structured. I'll focus on warming up with a few scales or play few tunes that work the fingers out well. After that each practice has a specific goal, which usually revolves around learning a new song or improving upon a part of an old one that is a bit marginal. I'm not terribly naturally talented, so I need to keep up to date with the tricker parts of songs I haven't played live for a while if they make a re-appearance into a set list.

Reaction score
actually I usually go for 30 min or less each time but when I'm working or working around the house or something to fall asleep to I just use a playlist on my vlc player. I have no structure at all. I'm usually listening for what parts to put where or new cool sounds. 3 bands sounds like your into serious work, more so than my actual job. Yeh that wouldn't be no messin' around.

Last edited:

Ask a Question