Need help using Akai EWI 5000 as a midi controller for Roland AX-Synth

Reaction score
I want to use an Akai EWI 5000 as a midi controller and I want to use the sounds of a Roland AX-Synth. So what I’ve connected the MIDI OUT of the EWI 5000 to the MIDI IN of the AX-Synth, turned on the instruments, and played a note on the EWI 5000 but there comes no sound from the AX-Synth.
I have used midi before but never with the EWI 5000 and never with the AX-Synth as the slave. I don’t remember it has been any more complicated than just connecting them with a midi cable.
Is there anything I should be aware of that I don't know?

I hope someone here can help me, so I can control the AX-Synth with the EWI-5000.

Reaction score
I don't own these pieces of equipment but some basic midi rules should apply: Be sure to connect midi cable to the MIDI "IN" DIN port on the Roland. Be sure both devices are on the same midi channel, and the Roland audio output is connected. Be sure both devices have power and are turned "ON". Hope this helps!

Reaction score
I have connected the midi cable as you said and checked the user manuals to set the midi channels. They are both on channel 1. Both instruments are turned on, and I can get sound from them separately.
I want to use the EWI (which is an electronic wind instrument) because I want to record an orchestral piece using my synths. And I am much more capable of controlling the dynamics of the music with the EWI, but it doesn't have any string sounds, so I want to use the strings from the AX-Synth instead.

Reaction score
One other thought on something else to check: Check the Roland user manual for instructions for setting for "Local" (on - off). Since you are using the Roland as a "sound source" it probably needs to know that it is supposed to respond to external midi input (rather than it's own keyboard).

Reaction score
Check the Roland user manual for instructions for setting for "Local" (on - off).

About the AX-Synth's receive channel.PNG

This is the only thing the manual says about. There's also a note saying "The AX-Synth has no Local switch. To control a MIDI device without hearing its internal sound source, set the [VOLUME] control to the minimum value, disconnect the AX-Synth’s OUTPUT sockets or turn down the volume on your amplifier, mixing console, etc"

Ask a Question