New addition to gig rig

Reaction score
i play about 70-80 gigs a year. Currently using a Hammond Sk2. I want to add a softsynth based keyboard to my rig. I am not completely happy with the non-organ sounds on the SK2. They are more than passable, but I would like to get them a little better. I also want back up. The second is the lack of real synth sounds. I am looking at Arturia V Collection and maybe Komplete using either the Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 or Nektar Impact 61. I want light and functional. Unfortunately, no one in my area, SE VA, has a nice selection of Keys. GC is no help. Looking for any and all recommendations. This is a live rig not studio. How also would you host the VST?

Thanks in advance

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I've only heard of one keyboard that hosts VSTs, and it's expensive as hell. People who use VSTs while gigging generally use some sort of MIDI controller and a computer for the software. If you're serious about it, you'll get a computer that's rack mounted and sturdy. Then remove all drivers that have nothing to do with music generation. (Why on Earth would you want your computer to connect to the nearest WiFi hotspot and update your operating system when you're at a gig.)

If you would be using your Hammond Sk2 as your controller, then you only need a sturdy computer. But you may find that having that one extra keyboard is useful.

(The Broadway musical Hamilton uses VSTs extensively, and each keyboardist has two separate computers running in parallel. If one of them dies, reboots, whatever, then they switch over to the other computer. That might be a bit expensive for your budget.)

Reaction score
I have the computer, and yes completely agree, only rig relate software is on it. My questions are which software for hosting, I want to get a 61 key controller to use with it, and which soft synths. Looking for opinions and direction. Without significant travel, there is no store for consultation and comparison.

Ask a Question