New gear suggestions needed!

Reaction score
Alrighty, so I'm looking for suggestions for a new keyboard! The project I'm currently working on is leaning heavily into a pop rock direction, basically newer edm style pop with Eddie Van Halen style guitar playing thrown in. So I'm needing something to pull out some of those newer sounds and give me some of the same control live over them I would have in studio. I'm thinking either a synthesizer or workstation would be best. I am on a bit of a budget currently so would like to stay under $1,000.00!
Needs to have:
Good live control
Programmable arpagiator (not a necessity but would be nice)
Big sound
All suggestions are welcome, thanks in advance!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Number of keys?

Looking specifically for synth sounds or bread and butter sounds or both?

Size or weight restrictions?

For gigging or studio use?

One suggestion, a sort of swiss army knife as it were, is to get a Roland JD-Xi and a decent 61 or 88 key controller and use the JD-Xi as a sound module.

If mini keys are not a problem for you then just stick with the JD-Xi and save yourself some money.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Number of keys?

Looking specifically for synth sounds or bread and butter sounds or both?

Size or weight restrictions?

For gigging or studio use?

One suggestion, a sort of swiss army knife as it were, is to get a Roland JD-Xi and a decent 61 or 88 key controller and use the JD-Xi as a sound module.

If mini keys are not a problem for you then just stick with the JD-Xi and save yourself some money.

Gary ;)

Thanks Gary,
I'm looking for a bit of both but mainly more synth than bread and butter.
I don't have any size or weight restrictions as I'm currently running a Casio XW-P1 and an Alesis QS 8.2 so I'm used to light as a feather and OMG I need a forklift to move this thing, haha!
It'll be for both, but mainly live to emulate things I've programmed in studio.
I'm not a huge fan of the mini keys (I've got fat fingers, ha!) but I do like the sounds on the JD-Xi, but if I was going to get a controller I'd probably just run my Komplete sounds out of Logic. I'd like to just have one unit though instead of a module/laptop and a controller, try to keep the pieces down to cut down on technical issues or bad cables and such!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The thousand dollar limit puts a damper on more expensive choices.

Also, you can very easily use your Casio or your Alesis as the controller for the JD-Xi. They're all fully MIDI capable, though the channels are fixed on the JD-Xi. Channel 1 and 2 for PCM synths 1 and 2 channel 3 for Analog and channel 10 for percussion. There's no way to change those settings.

Otherwise, if you're open for PCM synths take a look at the Roland Juno DS61 or DS88 and if you're looking for Virtual Analogs take a look at Studiologic Sledge and Korg Kingkorg as respectable VA synths.

Those are pretty much your best options around the $1000 mark.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The thousand dollar limit puts a damper on more expensive choices.

Also, you can very easily use your Casio or your Alesis as the controller for the JD-Xi. They're all fully MIDI capable, though the channels are fixed on the JD-Xi. Channel 1 and 2 for PCM synths 1 and 2 channel 3 for Analog and channel 10 for percussion. There's no way to change those settings.

Otherwise, if you're open for PCM synths take a look at the Roland Juno DS61 or DS88 and if you're looking for Virtual Analogs take a look at Studiologic Sledge and Korg Kingkorg as respectable VA synths.

Those are pretty much your best options around the $1000 mark.

Gary ;)

Awesome!
I'm definitely open to PCM's and have actually been looking at the Juno DS61. Looks and sounds amazing, and I like the fact that it has a lot of control like the bars and pads!
The guy I'm working with is actually buying a KingKorg today, so I'll be trying that out and seeing how I like it.
Which I've never heard of the sledge before, but I haven't really ventured into true just synthesizer brands either, sonic it's not Korg, Yamaha, Roland, etc, I'm kind of lost. But I'm definitely going to try and check one out because the demos sound amazing and it looks fairly straight forward to use!
Yea, the budget does keep it tight! My dream rig will eventually be a Prophet 08 and a Kurzweil, but that'll be a long way down the road, haha!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Well, just for bragging rights, my current rig includes a Kurzweil PC3K8 and a Studiologic Sledge and a Juno DS61 and a few other goodies as well. ;)

Gear Acquisition Syndrome (G.A.S. for short) is a capricious bitch that sucks up every spare nickel you have. :D :D :D

I'm currently negotiating for a used Korg Electribe R ER-1 that a guy is selling locally.

As my late great dad would have put it...

"I'm trying to become the King of Beep Beep Boop!" :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Dreams?

I'd like to add either a Matrix-12 or an Andromeda to the stack. And a full blown Eurorack system, too. But I'll just settle for the two for the time being.

Reaction score
If money is no object, Korg Kronos, or Yamaha Montage and a Roland Jupiter 80 is a good start.
If you are thinking a bit more economy, Yamaha MOXF series, and a Roland System 8,
All the sounds and features you need and not SEVERLY overpriced.
And a little more fun and easier to get around than the flagships.
Unless you're hooked on the sound of the NORDs,
well then theres those.
Good Luck!

Ask a Question