Reaction score
Hi just found the forum today and signed up.Looking forward to reading keyboard news,views and opinions.Quick rundown of myself...59 yr old home player 30 yrs experience.Keyboards Technics kn6000 (oldie but still good,like myself), Novation ks4 synth and very old Yamaha PSR 300(bought for my son when he was 2 ,now 22yrs).Having problems with this PSR 300.Is there a techy section on this forum,would like some advice on this

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Techy stuff is what some of us do best ;)

Not so big on the reviews and news. More of an informal keyboard chat and support forum really.

In fact that's what I like best about this place. It lacks the general pretension and animosity which some other music forums seem to generate.

We all pretty much leave our egos at the door when we post here and we like it that way :)

So what's yer Yamaha Techy problem anyway?

Gary

Reaction score
Cheers yes Yamaha PSR 300 .Been in storage for some time, not 20yrs though.Powered it up and no sound came out at all.Mains light came on and speakers popped as usual but not a dicky bird from voices or drums/rythms.Left it on for 30 mins and miraculosly started to work.However the joy was short lived as it then started to sound very distorted and buzzy..Phoned local dealer who said it could be internal battery gone kaput.Took the back off but could not find one,should be a cr2023 flat coin shaped thing.Now the keyboard plays fine and then suddenly goes silent or distorts again.Any ideas for a fix or is it skip time.Shame really because its not a bad keyboard for a kid or new starter....touch sensitive keys and all that

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I doubt there even is a battery in there at all. Then again though, electrolytic capacitors do not age gracefully. They're full of acidic goo that eventually eats it's way out thru the casing or thru the dielectric foil inside the cap.

Prolly a marginal cap or three in there gumming up the works, and you should exercise the switches and sliders and knobs with a squirt of contact cleaner and run them back and forth a few dozen times to clean any oxidation off of their contacts with self wiping action.

Not a total writeoff yet.

Open it up and peek inside looking for bulging capacitors or any that have opened up and started leaking their precious goo. :)

Gary

Reaction score
I doubt there even is a battery in there at all. Then again though, electrolytic capacitors do not age gracefully. They're full of acidic goo that eventually eats it's way out thru the casing or thru the dielectric foil inside the cap.

Prolly a marginal cap or three in there gumming up the works, and you should exercise the switches and sliders and knobs with a squirt of contact cleaner and run them back and forth a few dozen times to clean any oxidation off of their contacts with self wiping action.

Not a total writeoff yet.

Open it up and peek inside looking for bulging capacitors or any that have opened up and started leaking their precious goo. :)

Gary
Thanks for the advice I.ve still got the back off so I,ll have a look tomorrow for signs of bulging capacitors and such like,Cheers

Reaction score
Hi just found the forum today and signed up.Looking forward to reading keyboard news,views and opinions.Quick rundown of myself...59 yr old home player 30 yrs experience.Keyboards Technics kn6000 (oldie but still good,like myself), Novation ks4 synth and very old Yamaha PSR 300(bought for my son when he was 2 ,now 22yrs).Having problems with this PSR 300.Is there a techy section on this forum,would like some advice on this
Hi I just signed up I am trying to find out hoe to layer sounds(piano/strings) on a Technics KN 6000 could you help me?

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Hi I just signed up I am trying to find out hoe to layer sounds(piano/strings) on a Technics KN 6000 could you help me?

You might do better posting this as a query on the Technics keyboard board rather than at the tail end of an introduction post. Welcome to the group.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Brian and welcome.
It could be the power adapter which is shot.Your psr300 itself may be okay. Maybe try playing it on batteries.

Anyway I am no techy. Just a random thought.;)

Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

Ask a Question