Newbie Interested in gettin a keyboard

Reaction score
Hey all, I have sort of been interested in getting a portable/electronic keyboard to learn how to play for a while. I have absolutely no musical talent or training and was wondering if this is something I can learn with practice on my own through the tutorials included in the keyboards and studying online and what not. I was looking at the choices available and it seems like it is either Casio or Yamaha so anybody have experience with these who can recommend one brand over the other? I see Amazon has several models in the $100+ range which is probably what I would prefer, nothing fancy, but I would like to be able to maybe record and transfer to my computer. Also, if you think I won't be able to learn this way please be honest..

I am looking at the Yamaha YPT210/310 models also, seems like they are beginner ones and 310 has USB which I am guessing lets you transfer songs to the keyboard

any help would be great,
thanks

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!

Between the YPT-210 and 310, go for the 310. It has touch-response, aka, velocity-sensitive keys. (The harder/faster you press, the louder the sound.)

Between Casio and Yamaha, personally I'd probably go with Yamaha because there seems to be more support for that brand in my area. You might find the opposite in your area. Check with your local music shops.

You should be able to transfer songs back and forth using MIDI connections with either keyboard. A USB connection will allow for faster transfers.

I'm not sure how much you'll be able to learn with the built-in lessons. My impression from what I've seen is that they will get you started, but you'll be left wanting more. You may want to check out the books thread for suggested books. Also, don't rule out finding a piano/keyboard instructor.

Also, you'll find a LOT of great tips through the forums here.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Ask a Question