Newbie wanting to learn and buy a new keyboard

Reaction score
Hey there, first post here and I'm looking for a really good answer if possible, so wondering if anyone could help me out.

Been playing piano for about 3 years now, self taught and I've now found myself wanting to create but being limited by the piano voice. I'm already quite musical since I play guitar, mandolin and trumpet so know my theory too. I currently have two keyboard but they are about 3 Octaves and about 10 years old with so many fake annoying samples and voices on, I'm looking to upgrade to something professional.

So here I am looking up these keyboards with NO IDEA where to start looking. I always had my eye on Nord Electro but I'm guessing that is well out of my price range. I don't know much about terminology, effects or MIDI since I've only used audacity and rarely use effect peddles on guitar. However I want to jump into the deep end here and learn about all these creative things you can now do on keyboards. Problem is I don't really know how much a decent keyboard is. I've looked at Yamaha and Casio so far... something like WTK-7500 and PSR's but really I don't know what I'm looking at, just a keyboard with complicated buttons. I guess if I buy something like this I'd pretty soon pick it up though.

I'm a half hearted guitarist in an indie rock band but want to get on to keyboard now because I just flow easier at it. The keyboard I buy needs to be something that will fit well in this sort of band, maybe a little more electronic sounding too, whether it's dream pop, post rock, indie rock, math rock, folk rock, indietronica, experimental, electropop, you get the general gist.

So, I'm wanting it to last for about 4-5 years till I can upgrade again, no more than £700 (1050$), something I can be creative on, something I can carry without a car, something that I can potentially record and sample on and something with a bunch of effects and cool things I can learn./

Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't, I just really want to get out there and get a keyboard and learn it. If you can recommend any keyboards that fit my criteria I'd be so very grateful (and maybe clear up a bit of the fog surrounding difference between synth, digital etc..)

Thanks!

Reaction score
EDIT:
I have looked at the guide so only answer this if you can be bothered, cheers x

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Offhand I'd suggest taking a look at the new Korg Kross and the Casio PX-5S.

Those may be your best bet in your price range and lightweight.

EDIT: In your price range sampling is not really an option.

Gary

Reaction score
Sounds good. I'll have a look at those in a moment, just been doing much research and I'm liking Korgs and Yamahas. Will now need to decide if I want a workstation or synth, probably the former. Looking at Korg M50, Motof ES know much about these ones? It seems ideal.

Ask a Question