no bass in pipe organs and limited dynamic range

Reaction score
I recently bought a NP V60(piaggero) keyboard.I was disappointed when I heard the pipe organs.There wasn't a good amount of bass in those voices.With a pipe organ people are expecting to feel the walls rattle from the bass.Even when I turn the bass control of my amplifier up all the way there was little improvement.Why do you think Yamaha does this?There are other organ voices that have the same problem.
Also the electric piano voices and many other voices have a poor dynamic range .With a touch sensitive keyboard one would expect to be able to play from quite soft to quite loud if not better than that.What I hear from so many voices is that if you have the volume control for a fairly loud sound you can hardly play soft notes.I know they can do better because a few of the voices have a good range.I don't see why most of the voices don't have that good range,especially the keyboard sounds.Don't any of you think they do that on purpose to get you to buy an expensive model?In this modern age I think it should be easy to do.In fact maybe it could have been done one or two decades ago.I haven't listened to other companies models but I suspect they do the same thing.Its like a tacit agreement between the companies so they can make more money.Not much we can do about it though.Don't you think if you were in charge of the programming (voice editing) you could do better?I have an S-90 (which went bad after 9 years and Yamaha offered to try to fix it cheap if it was repairable)and I thought the piano voices on that were bad too on the dynamic range.I learned how to edit and when I knew how I fairly easily got a very nice range of quite soft and very loud without using the volume pedal.I went through the trouble of buying a volume pedal for my NP V60 and with a little practice one can learn to use it in combination with the touch sensitivity but it cost me a lot of money to do it with all the cables and cable adapters needed but it is worth it to me for the expressivness i get from it.
Anyway if you agree that the companies are prbly limiting the quality on purpose let me know and if you can think of anything that can be done about it let me know.I understand that the companies need to make a living but if they are committing a sin or crime because they can ,and have ,been able to get away with it so they can get rich at the consumer's expense(millions of consumers prbly and each of them having the same bad feelings because of the above mentioned and similar causes),then I think someone should stop them.They could prbly still make a living but not rich and millions of people would be happy about it.A realistic Rhodes piano and a good concert grand sound at a $300 price! Maybe I'm wrong about my suspicions but there is a good chance I'm right.This might have been going on for decades.
Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this NP V60 for $300 but I had to spend about $80 for the volume pedal and its cables etc. to feel pretty satisfied.By the way the electric pianos have a decent DX sound but no Rhodes in the high notes.I just feel like if justice was served us poor people could have a considerably better keyboard for $300.
I'm tired of thinking so much now.I'm going to meditate a little then get to sleep.Thank you for the time you spent reading this.

Reaction score
I don't think so.My point is that it should be easy to do with our present state of technology.I think they don't do it because they want you to buy the much more expensive models.Many of the other organs have enough bass why not the pipe organs?I said there are some voices that have a good dynamic range with good control using the touch sensitivity.Therefore I thought they could have done it on other voices as well.The main piano isn't too bad concerning that but the electric pianos are pretty limited except for some of the DX pianos.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Don't any of you think they do that on purpose to get you to buy an expensive model?....like a tacit agreement between the companies so they can make more money..

I don't know that there would be active collaboration as this would go against laws in many countries.

However, it is a matter of what the competitor has available and maximising profits for your products.

It can also take some time for sounds developed for flagship models to "work their way down" to low end models - it does eventually happen. The sounds on say a low end Yamaha (PSR-Exx) is way beyond the equivalent model from two decades ago (and much cheaper too).

The Y-man

Reaction score
I have a good stereo system.There just isn't a good amount of bass recorded(sampled) into those voices but its not TOO bad.My main gripe is the dynamic range .I just feel with today's technology they could have made most of the voices,especially the appropriate ones like keyboard sounds,very good so that you could play pp to ff without needing expertise in controlling finger speed.I went ahead and got a volume pedal for it but it cost me about $80.The only one the store had that was under $50 or more was a behringer that requires an ac adapter that plugs into an outlet($20)or a battery which doesn't last long.Also required many cables and cable adapters.With the volume pedal you can practise techniques to use it along with the touch control giving you very good dynamic range.All in all I am very happy with the keyboard at #300 but I needed to get that volume pedal to feel this way.Also I don't know if its the stereo receivers specs(its an Onkyo, 145 watts for left and for right) but I have to have my volume controls on the receiver and on the keyboard close to maximum. It helps a little I think to use line out 2 on the equalizer settings but to me that setting thickens the lower midrange tones on the piano too much making it sounds less realistic.Maybe its just my ears.
Another thing I'd like to mention is to my ears the mid and low notes of the flute and piccolo samples don't sound like those instruments.The sound it reminds me of sounds like a woodwind instrument that hasn't yet been invented.Ha Thank you for the replies..

Ask a Question