Now available: Cakewalk INS file for CDP-240R

Reaction score
Hello.

I recently bought a CDP-240R second-hand, barely used, might as well have been new. I've long wanted to start doing stuff with MIDI, and found the free version of CakeWalk that's now available from BandLab. I thought I'd use that for sequencing—it's got a long history and hey, free, right?

Took me a bit to figure out that I needed an INS file for CakeWalk to fully access all of the instruments/tones, and I went looking for one. Closest I could find was in this posting, on here:

https://www.keyboardforums.com/thre...500-instrument-definition-for-cakewalk.22565/

I found the PDF of the printed appendix with all of that information (you have to look in the docs for the 230, not the 240R), locked, found a site to unlock small ones...started with the one in the above posting, lot of effort in Google Sheets and sometimes Excel...anyhoo. TL;DR!

What I created is in the attached in the ZIP file.

Some quick notes about this:
  • I only changed the [...Bank XX] areas, and checked the .Notes section, for the drumsets, a bit. As in—are there the same number of instruments listed under set "X" as I see filled lines on the B side of the instruments list printout? Yup.

• The Controller Names and Instrument Definitions sections, I changed not at all.

One last thing. I went back and forth with Mike, on Bandlab's CakeWalk support team quite a bit about problems with their online documentation pages. Something awesome that came out of that was that he linked me this:

https://bandlab.github.io/cakewalk/docs/Cakewalk Reference Guide.pdf

1880 (!) pages of CakeWalk documentation, and I could not have managed to find that on my own.

All my best,
Pat O'Connell
Musician, flier of kites, technical writer, sometimes hobbyist VBA programmer

Attachments

• cdp_240r_ins_file.zip
    7.4 KB · Views: 26

Ask a Question