yamaha dx21: is touch response available in the settings?

Reaction score
hi! can you guys help me, how can i set my synth into touch response? i bought this as second hand and i just found out that the keys doesn't observe a touch response setting. is there a way to activate this? thank you! great help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It would help if you mentioned what make and model the synth is.

Check your manual for a section on "Setting the Keyboard Velocity Curve" or something similar to that.

Reaction score
It would help if you mentioned what make and model the synth is.

Check your manual for a section on "Setting the Keyboard Velocity Curve" or something similar to that.

hey thanks but i just saw the manual and the keyboard isn't capable of touch response. is there any way that i can manage to make the tone delay?thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you are talking about delaying the note as it is struck take a look at the Attack parameter in the ADSR Envelope controls.

Velocity is usually used to control volume though.

They are two entirely different animals.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I checked the manual. What you're looking for is the Envelope Controls on pages 32 to 33, specifically the Attack Parameter.

Wes

Reaction score
There's a good chance the DX-21 will respond to velocity messages if they are received from an external controller -- but the stock patches probably aren't set up to do anything with them.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually the DX21 is a REALLY really old keyboard. I owned a DX27 that I bought USED back around 1986. I have my doubts whether anything from that vintage will even recognize MIDI velocity codes.

Wes

Reaction score
Well, you're wrong about that, because the DX-7 does, and it predates them all.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Dip me in dog doo and call me Clancy :D

I just poked back into the manual and it DOES recognize MIDI velocity messages.

http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Yamaha/DX_Series/Yamaha DX-21 Owners Manual.pdf

On page 25 it states that it's capable of recognizing velocity data from an external controller.

I still think the original poster is actually looking for Envelope Attack info though. He seems to want a soft attack like a swelling string section.

Wes

Reaction score
Whoo, I just found a copy of the DX-21 manual -- http://www.synthfool.com/docs/Yamaha/DX_Series/Yamaha DX-21 Owners Manual.pdf

Voice parameter 7 is the response to velocity. According to the MIDI implementation chart on page 57, it will respond to velocities 0-127, even though you can only enter values 0-7 with the data slider when setting voice parameter 7.

That reminds, the DX-7 would only transmit velocities 0-100 with the original ROMs. I had a rackmount MIDI box that would "expand" the velocity curve to go all the way up to 127 so that my modules could generate maximal attack when using the DX-7 as a controller. That's stupid albeit forgiveable; the DX-7 was built just before the MIDI standard was finished. It had some other quirks, too, IIRC, like only transmitting on channel 1.

Reaction score
hi! can you guys help me, how can i set my synth into touch response? i bought this as second hand and i just found out that the keys doesn't observe a touch response setting. is there a way to activate this? thank you! great help!
Creo, que el DX-21 no tiene sensibilidad al tacto. Tengo uno y no lo encuentro, además para esa fecha, no creo que los hubiera, en este tipo de diseño.

Reaction score
Page 39 of the manual states that the keyboard itself does not have key velocity sensitivity, so if that's what you were after you can stop looking. However as Wes and Gary have pointed out, it can be controlled externally via MIDI, if you're desperate to hear the "wonderful" retro digital sounds of this beast played to their full dynamic range.

Reaction score
The dx21 keyboard is not velocity sensitive, however if you use an external keyboard controller, it responds to Velocity. The dx21 out of the other two models in that era has stereo chorus end layering which the dx100 and the DX 27 do not. I still use the dx21 in many modern recordings. If you use a upper end keyboard controller with hammer action. It's amazing!

Ask a Question