Passing Chords ( Bridge )

Reaction score
Passing Chords ( Bridge)
A passing chord s used as the bridge to get you from one root (main) Chord., Say the key of C for instance, into a new root chord of G. In the key of C, the passing chord would be D. To get from the key of G to the key of D, the passing chord would be A. There`s a pattern here, as the passing chord is the second chord in the scale of whatever key you are playing in, if the key you are going to transpose the song to is the fifth note of the same chord.. (There are plenty of variations of transposing songs, but i`m just giving you an example of the most common way here) So, if you’re in C initially, you would hit the 2nd Chord D to transpose you up to the key of G.
If you are in G you would hit the A Chord to transpose you up to the key of D. I hope this isn’t too confusing, Remember 1-2-5 and you’ll have the basics of transposing any song. I know there are other complicated methods of doing it, but I like to keep it simple.

Reaction score
Yes, recognizing and learning patterns is a good thing.
The 2 - 5 pattern relationship is "the circle of fours" (if I remember correctly). One of the exercises I remember from some past method required the student to walk up the keyboard in chords using repeated steps of "2 minor" to 5. ie, Dm-g, Em-A, Fm-Bflat, etc.
It is good ear training to vary the chords, (minor 6, minor 7, etc) when you do the changes.
B

Reaction score
One small question about that one. I'm well aware that you'll usually want to hit a major fifth chord (dominant) before going back to the root, which works with your example.

However, playing the second chord from the old root before going to the new root also works with your example.

So, e.g if I want to go from C as root, to A as root. Will I be hitting a D or an E? (my guess is that I'd probably hit an E, but I want to make sure :))

Ask a Question