Power Outlet Safety

Reaction score
As I am building my Keyboard rig I am getting a little concerned about my power outlet situation. My office only has 2 double outlets on either side of the room. We have two computers with all the other related items like printers and flatbed scanners along with my ever-growing keyboard rig. Total of 4 outlets with a power strip coming out of each. I have a really good surge protector on the rig but soon I will run out of space and will need to get a bigger one.

What do you reckon?

Reaction score
Upgrade the fixed electrical power installation.

If you are concerned about loosing your electrical power supply then consider an Uninterruptible Power Supply, the Amazon link shows some that are available.

I cannot help on these low output domestic units I’m used to 1MW industrial Rotary and Battery UPS units.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I use one of these for my rig and another for my computer, but it's not really going to help if you are popping fuses all over the place.

You need to call in an Electrician to wire in another outlet or two if you want to be safe.

Also, NEVER plug a laser printer in the battery backed outlet.

Into one of the surge protected is fine.

Reaction score
Upgrade the fixed electrical power installation.

If you are concerned about loosing your electrical power supply then consider an Uninterruptible Power Supply, the Amazon link shows some that are available.

I cannot help on these low output domestic units I’m used to 1MW industrial Rotary and Battery UPS units.
Cheers Biggles, appreciate it!

Reaction score
I use one of these for my rig and another for my computer, but it's not really going to help if you are popping fuses all over the place.

You need to call in an Electrician to wire in another outlet or two if you want to be safe.

Also, NEVER plug a laser printer in the battery backed outlet.

Into one of the surge protected is fine.
Yeah, might just do that Gary. I would rather be safe than sorry!

Reaction score
Going to ask my father-in-law first as he added a few outlets to the house a few years ago. I might be able to draw from the next room (dining room) as we have a closet in the office that backs right up to a power outlet in the next room. Failing that I have no problems paying to get it done... well worth it! I think realistically I am ok at the moment but as I build my rig I will become more and more worried.

Reaction score
Just reading that most synths, monitors, etc take very power. From my calculations, each outlet maxes out at about 1800w. Keyboards only take about 25 to 50 watts each and the sub about 150. The highest would be the computers at about 750 watts but I think in reality they don't use as much as that.

Ask a Question