Question about Roland KC-550 amp

Reaction score
Hello, n00b here with a question.
I have a Yamaha Motif XS~6, a set of Moog Taurus 1 bass pedals, and a Mellotron 4000D Mini.
Currently running the Yamaha, and the Mellotron, through two separate Fishman Loudbox Minis', and the bass pedals through a MarkBass ComboBass II.

I'm a guitarist first, but I got the keys bug, hence the Fishman amps, lol.

Anyway, my question is: Can a Roland KC-550 handle those three instruments? Taurus, Yamaha Motif, and Mellotron.

Thanks!, and music!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Hi, The fact is any speaker or amp can handle as many instruments as you'd possibly want to drive thru them.

The only problem you'd run into is a shortage of inputs.

Solution : Buy a small mixer to run them all thru and you could feed all of them thru a single amp or PA or whatever audio setup you might want to conjure up.

Here's my setup in my home studio.

The only caveat is don't use a guitar amp for keyboards.

The sky's the limit.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @SeaMaj7 :) I thought it would be better to split your query out in to a new topic, hope that's ok ;)
Thanks, Becky!

You guys know way more than me about this, and I appreciate your response!

The Roland KC-550 seems like it can fulfill my needs, so I'd like to hear opinions from you guys.

Thanks!

Reaction score
This amp is not universally loved.

Reaction score
I agree with what has been said.

A shopping list of:-
A mixer,
A parametric Graphic Equalizer,
A pair of powered speakers
An active sub-woofer

Will give you a great system to use with any instrument and mike. All you need initially is the mixer and powered speakers and these should cost quite a lot less cash than the Roland Amp.

Reaction score
Thanks, Becky!

You guys know way more than me about this, and I appreciate your response!

The Roland KC-550 seems like it can fulfill my needs, so I'd like to hear opinions from you guys.

Thanks!

The amp can fulfill many needs, I believe that amp has 4 stereo inputs, a 15" to handle the Taurus pedals, so theoretically you have enough inputs on the unit run your yamaha, taurus pedals and Mellotron in stereo or mono. The one feature that is missing is sound clarity; the amp sounds awful, like someone took a blanket and through it over the speakers. So if you are running your equipment through FOH (front of house, or house sound) and the roland is just to be used as a monitor for the stage then it doesn't matter as the audience will hear you from the house sound, not from the stage. So the only person you need to satisfy is yourself on the stage. Now if you need to project this out to the audience as well: 1) might not be enough power to hear you, especially if you are using taurus pedals as these will consume alot of the total power being allocated to all of your instruments 2) the sound quality projected to the audience will sound horrible. If going the former (used as monitors only) then go with the KC-550, if it will also be needed for house sound (projected out to cover the audience) I would recommend a powered monitor and a small mixer, it will be more powerful, handle the lows better and cost less..... This will give you bass for days....

here's a small stereo mixer to connect between the powered speaker and the instruments:

Reaction score
I think the answer to the very first question is "yes," it definitely should be able to handle those three. I have a KC350 that has four inputs. I've run mellotrons (M4000D Mini and a real tron), a Fender Rhodes and various synths through it. It more than handled those. So I don't know why a 550 wouldn't be able to.

Reaction score
Op last visited the forum 23rd February.

Looks like another .... use and abuser ..... gets the answers then moves on without so much as a Thankyou.

Ask a Question