Question about split/pattern sequencer on Roland Juno...

Reaction score
Hey guys, trying to figure out how to do something on my Roland Juno DS-88 and after tinkering around for a couple hours I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it even though it seems like it shouldn't be too hard...

I'm trying to do a split voice within the pattern sequencer. So let's say I want the bottom half of the keyboard to be bass and the top half to be piano. I know how to make a split normally but I'm not sure how to make it/access it within the pattern sequencer.

Anyone know how to do this?

Reaction score
I do not have a Juno but I have watched a whole batch of Roland videos on Youtube.

Look for the ones labelled Product Support like this one which is on Splits

And they will show you how to do it.

I watched the videos to help me decide between the Juno and the Korg Kross 2, I ended up buying the Kross due primarily to its lighter weight and smaller physical size.

Reaction score
I don't think it's possible. One patch per pad in sequencer mode. You can do it in the multi mode but not the pattern sequencer.

Reaction score
That video is a good intro to pattern sequencer but you only play one patch live at a time in that mode. No split there.

Reaction score
Have you created your split/layered patch and saved it into your User bank?

You should then be able to go into Sequencer mode and navigate to the PRST and change that to USER then select your saved patch, you are then good to start recording

Or have I completely misunderstood what you are trying to achieve?

Reaction score
i have further to add, i have a roland DS88, the DS88 has 4 partials for each of its 16 parts [ yes it does have 16 parts though its very long winded to set iut up - but i dont believe that you can assighn any of the upper/lower sliders to any other part] but the point is this if you ristrict you partials to 1&2 and 3&4 [ ie no ring modulater useage ] ie as most people would as a 4 oscerlater synth. then each partial itself can be split/layered as you wish, so if you only want for eg 1 piano partial, 1 organ partial , 1 bass partial , and 1 solo partial then you can split/ layer these anyway you wish , as well as the normal 16 parts split/layered any way you wish, ie for a total of 64 split/layers any way you wish. at least this appears to be how its architected ? . hope this helpeds. this doesnt seem to be made obvios in the youtube videoes. this is also the case for the juno stage, and juno DI [ upgraded to the DS88 but wish thered kept the MIDI file player as on the DI & stage, the new implimentation is crap as i dont play samples i only play compleatly live. also i have no use of the axial upgrade as it uses up patch memory and id rarther make up my own patches. i still have my juno stage which all this can be done on the front panel, on the juno DI you have to use the [ included softwear editor ] dont know why know one else knows this. also though the ax-synth [ also have one as well ] also says not multitimblal, again it has 4 partials which can be split/layered any way you wish, again no one seems to know this ! but most if not all roland keyboards have this fearture, though i believe , not sure but think the jupitor 80 only has 3 partials but would have to check on that. cheers

Last edited:

Ask a Question