Rare One Hit Wonder Songs

3dc

Reaction score
Cool songs guys. I knew you have some good stuff to post here. I am saving them all except the two crazy ones from @Biggles . :)

Now everyone knows Bee Gees and their massive hits but only a few in my country knows this little gem from Robin Gibb
Juliet. I wonder how successful was this hit in UK and Australia?

Some good old ones:

Ph.D - I Won't Let You Down

Cock Robin - When Your Heart Is Weak

Take Me Home Tonight

The Adventures - Send My Heart

These again might be well known hits in your country but they were a rarity here, even on Italian radio stations we used to listen for latest hits of that time.

Last edited:

3dc

Reaction score
@happyrat1 Bronski Beat - Smalltown Boy is in my favorite songs from that era. Epic song with epic voice. :)

BTW did you know that Eddie Murphy can sing? :p

Marc Almond - Tears Run Rings

Yazoo - Don't Go with Alison Moyet and Vince Clarke from DM and Erasure.

Visage - Fade To Grey

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I’ve heard Mr Farnham called many things, but one hit wonder - nope. When @Rayblewit gets here he’ll have a heart attack!
Ugh! I went into shock! You are absolutely right @CowboyNQ
He cannot sing. So many fickle people do not have a clue about quality vocal. He sold millions and made millions. He has the backing of fine musos and excellent songs but the bloke has a limited range and cannot reach the high notes without screeching and sqealing. His voice grinds on me.
Anyway moving on . .

Iron Butterfly - inagadadavida
Richard Harris - MacArthur Park

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ugh! I went into shock! You are absolutely right @CowboyNQ
He cannot sing. So many fickle people do not have a clue about quality vocal. He sold millions and made millions. He has the backing of fine musos and excellent songs but the bloke has a limited range and cannot reach the high notes without screeching and sqealing. His voice grinds on me.
Anyway moving on . .

Iron Butterfly - inagadadavida
Richard Harris - MacArthur Park

Sorry to freak you guys out, but Mr Farnham never made a dent in the North American Charts.

Never seen nor heard this guy coming out of my TV or Radio.

Same applies to Mental as Everything...

The Australian music scene in North America was zero until the late 80's or early 90's when all of a sudden everyone from Crocodile Dundee to Yahoo Serious started popping in.

Before Men at Work, the only Australian musician we'd heard of was Rolf Harris and his demise was rather sordid.

Gary ;)

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Back in the 70's this Tune got more than one Deejay fired for playing the full version.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Reaction score
The Australian music scene in North America was zero until the late 80's or early 90's
Haha I’m well aware of this mate. In fact I occasionally discover an Aussie artist made it big in North America with this song or that and I scratch my head and wonder “why”?

This being said - I will refer you to The Easybeats and The Seekers for further study.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, if you really want to absorb 80's MTV culture then beg, borrow or steal a copy of the movie Tapeheads starring Tim Robbins and John Cusack. Mike Nesmith directed. This film was one of the best comedies to come out during the 80's. I already have the DVD in my collection. Some service out there must be streaming it nowadays.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of the French Canadian rock videos in Montreal in the 70's and 80's.

Here's Mitsou. It was lust at first sight :D

and Plastique Bertrand

And Focus By Hocus Pocus

Some of these guys hit the big time scoring on the American charts.

Gary ;)

PS >>> Ray. Never turn up at a gun fight with only a knife :D :D :D

PPS >>> Just remembered that Hocus Pocus was a Dutch band. But it was on the jukebox of every rock bar in Montreal in the 70's every time you walked in. :D :D :D

;)

Last edited:

Ask a Question