REVOICE ? DGX-670

Reaction score
I was browsing through various sheet music selections for Clair de Lune on Musescore. I came across one that was for voice. I played it a bit on tghe app, and that was what it was.

So I wondered what it would sound like on my DGX 670. So I experimented a bit with the 4 voices to see if I could come up wiht Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass. I could to some extent, but not sure if I could do better.

So, I downloaded it in MIDI format. When I play it, it sounds pretty good. I chedked via the mixer what voices were being used. It showed only 1, that being used on all 4 tracks. I was thinking of using different octaves, and being as it showed the same voice for all 4 tracks...well, ok.

But the one voice it showed being used was ChoirAahs1. See picture attached.

I cannot find anything like that in the voice buttons. I notice at the top left of the screen it looks like an image of a guitar, and says Revoice. That typically is saying either Left, Main, or Layer to identify which of those buttons the voice will be assisgned to. I have no idea what that is. When I Googled it, I just got lots of ads, and tutorials, etc.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20240307_203356.jpg
    20240307_203356.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 4

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I think you may have attached the wrong picture?

The name "ChoirAahs1" sounds like it might be one of the older "legacy" voices, which Yamaha doesn't show in the voices any more for some reason; see the threads discussing how to access the GM and XG voices for discussions about that.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Another thought... As for the "Revoice" label, I wonder if that might be indicating that the specific voice being selected by the MIDI file isn't available on the keyboard and had to be revoiced or changed to a different voice? That (voice substitution) is something Yamaha and other manufacturers will sometimes do so their keyboards can play MIDI files even if some or all of the requested voices aren't available on a given keyboard model.

Reaction score
Yes, I apparently attached an old picture.

Your thoughts sounds logical to me. I'll check per your suggestion on the GM and XG voice.

I find it interesting that they won't show voices that are the substitutions.

Correct picture attached.

Attachments

• voices.jpg
    voices.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 5

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
I couldn't see any text or illustration in either the Owners Manual or Reference Manual that says "Revoice," but based on the photo you attached it looks like the song file is using either a GM or XG voice already, as indicated by the text at the bottom of the screen.

So "Revoice" probably just means that you're in whatever function lets you change the voices for a MIDI song. The fact that neither of the manuals mentions it could simply be that the manuals are very sketchy, or brief and incomplete, when it comes to describing all of the functionalities of the keyboard.

Reaction score
I had the same results with the manuals. I even checked in the data manual.

The fact that neither of the manuals mentions it could simply be that the manuals are very sketchy, or brief and incomplete, when it comes to describing all of the functionalities of the keyboard.

To me the manuals in fact are not that great. Some of the information is imperfect. Sometimes even difficult to follow the directions line by line and get results expected. Example: creating and combining banks with play lists.

Michael, I just want to take this opportunity to tell you that I recognize the effort you put into this forum, and appreciate it very much.

Reaction score
I'm not that much acquainted with the 670, but can you save to a GM2 compatible MIDI file? The 670 should be GM2 compatible also for voices, and should make a best effort of voice mapping to be compatible. It has voices enough to support GM2 in full.

Reaction score
I need to research that. I don't recollect seeing anything about that type of file, but of course I've never done anything with those so who knows. I'll check it out and report back.

Ask a Question