Roland Fantom O series

Reaction score
I went to edit that sentence in my post that was supposed to read "But trying to make something function as a linear sequencer if it was NOT designed for that is bound to be an exercise in frustration" but it was too late to edit, but obviously you got my meaning!

Even the MODX still doesn't have a traditional linear sequencer (even after the update).

Your other options would appear to be older models, like maybe a used Kronos or Motif XF. Or maybe do your sequencing externally, using a PC/Mac program, iPad app, etc.
I have a strict rule about only buying new keyboards(as I know the condition of what I am buying & that it's not from a dubious source.)
How long has the Motif XF series been discontinued...like a decade? Besides...some ass*hole on eBay wants $3,200 for an XF8....no thank you!
Sequencing on an iPad? Don't see the point, as they start at $500( & as it is now, I have 3 desktop PC's....so if I want to use my Fantom in a DAW, I just need to lay down $369 to upgrade from Ableton Live Lite, to the Standard version.)

Reaction score
You might still be able to find a new Kronos. And maybe you'd even be happier with the FA than the Fantom-0.
The Kronos 73 is still available...but it's almost $4,000 and like I had said, I'm on a budget. Although the older FA-series has a better sequencer(all the other aspects of the keyboard is a downgrade, from the new 0-series.)

Reaction score
Forgetting the price is the way that the Korg Sequencer functions what you are seeking?

I've been a Korg workstation user for decades, so I am v-e-r-y familiar with their sequencers( but I don't like the toy-ish build quality of the Nautilus and their OS's have always been sluggish & out of date with current technology.
At this point, I've decided to return my Fantom 06 for a refund.
I can get pretty much anything I want sound-wise from software, so I am done with hardware(at least for a while.) Quite honestly, I hate the burden of making monthly payments on hardware anyhow.

Reaction score
I've been a Korg workstation user for decades, so I am v-e-r-y familiar with their sequencers( but I don't like the toy-ish build quality of the Nautilus and their OS's have always been sluggish & out of date with current technology.
At this point, I've decided to return my Fantom 06 for a refund.
I can get pretty much anything I want sound-wise from software, so I am done with hardware(at least for a while.) Quite honestly, I hate the burden of making monthly payments on hardware anyhow.

I know what you mean regarding subscription software.

I have edited video for years and I stopped upgrading Adobe Premiere in 2011 and shortly after they started the subscription only system for their Creative Cloud software.

Had I subscribed between the start and now I would have paid in the region of £6,000 so I am very glad I stopped updating.

I can do all I want on 10 year old software or even for free using Da Vinci Resolve

Reaction score
The Kronos 73 is still available...but it's almost $4,000 and like I had said, I'm on a budget. Although the older FA-series has a better sequencer(all the other aspects of the keyboard is a downgrade, from the new 0-series.)
AKA you can't have everything. ;-) I agree, the Fantom-0 is generally a big upgrade from the FA... but the FA does have some advantages... besides the sequencer, it has some SN sounds that the Fantom-0 doesn't have (though the Fantom-0 has an even greater number than the FA doesn't have), and IMO the FA-07 action is better than the Fantom-07 action. It's always something! I guess the question I'd have is, if the Fantom-0 didn't exist, would you buy the FA? Does it, in fact, do enough of what you need? Or does it have deal-breakers of its own?

But seeing your subsequent post, it may all be moot. If no hardware available in your price range will be as satisfying to you as using your PC-based system, than certainly it makes sense to stick with that.

Reaction score
I know what you mean regarding subscription software.

I have edited video for years and I stopped upgrading Adobe Premiere in 2011 and shortly after they started the subscription only system for their Creative Cloud software.

Had I subscribed between the start and now I would have paid in the region of £6,000 so I am very glad I stopped updating.

I can do all I want on 10 year old software or even for free using Da Vinci Resolve
For years, I've used Cyberlink & loved it...that is, until they became subscription-only. Currently, I am using MovAvi & it's pretty limited. Downloading Da Vinci Resolve, as I write this...

Reaction score
For years, I've used Cyberlink & loved it...that is, until they became subscription-only. Currently, I am using MovAvi & it's pretty limited. Downloading Da Vinci Resolve, as I write this...
I tried extracting the files & got an error message(free software always give me problems.)

Reaction score
AKA you can't have everything. ;-) I agree, the Fantom-0 is generally a big upgrade from the FA... but the FA does have some advantages... besides the sequencer, it has some SN sounds that the Fantom-0 doesn't have (though the Fantom-0 has an even greater number than the FA doesn't have), and IMO the FA-07 action is better than the Fantom-07 action. It's always something! I guess the question I'd have is, if the Fantom-0 didn't exist, would you buy the FA? Does it, in fact, do enough of what you need? Or does it have deal-breakers of its own?

But seeing your subsequent post, it may all be moot. If no hardware available in your price range will be as satisfying to you as using your PC-based system, than certainly it makes sense to stick with that.

Reaction score
About the Zenology software....as it turns out, I was wrong about it being subscription-only(Roland's website is very disorientating.) There's Zenology Lite(which is free, but more of just a sampling of the full version.) The full version for purchase($225.) This is actually a superbly affordable option, as I can have all of the sonic goodness of the Fantom(without the Fantom's horrible sequencer.

wPYikeu.png

Reaction score
The first four of Ed Diaz’s Roland 0 series tutorials will be going live on the 12th May.

Others to follow as soon has he has finished editing.

If you are on Facebook then Ed is a member of the Fantom 0 series Group

Reaction score
The first four of Ed Diaz’s Roland 0 series tutorials will be going live on the 12th May.

Others to follow as soon has he has finished editing.

If you are on Facebook then Ed is a member of the Fantom 0 series Group

Thanks for the heads up...but I've grown very annoyed with the Fantom's pattern-only sequencer....as staring at micro-rectangular boxes for hours is a very grueling & tedious experience, so I returned that sh*t-box.
Whether it be hardware or software, the ZenCore engine is what it is...so there is no logical reason to fumble about with a miniscule display. Added to which, the Zenology GUI is wonderfully intuitive & lightening fast to work with(it's the one thing that Roland got right in my opinion, as not only is it an immense pleasure to work with(it's also incredibly inexpensive!)

Reaction score
I've been utterly obsessed with this keyboard since it was announced. I'll receive my Fantom 06 this Friday and it will be the most pristine keyboard workstation I've ever owned(which is quite extraordinary, since it's a budget keyboard.)
I find it very out that Ed Diaz claims that the Fantom-0 has 6,000 sounds(when Roland's product page clearly states that it has 3,500 sounds.)
Could Ed Diaz be referring to the additional free downloadable libraries? Even so, that makes no sense....as he did state that those "6,000" sounds are "right-out-of-the-box."
My Fantom-08 came with three expansions pre-installed, roughly halving the 256MB "available". I haven't counted them, but they might account for the divergence.

Anyway, Roland does provide manuals and other documents for diwnloading, including a Sound List for the Fantom-0 models,

Reaction score
I have a Roland Fantom 08, this is my second one as the first one locked up solid after adding new sounds. The replacement is awesome, and the expansions are fantastic.. I was able to load 3 wave expansions and all of the small ones, plus some I purchased.. I do wish they would come up with a memory expansion of some sort at least 1gb so we could load everything.. I write music and for me the more sounds the better to get just that right sound for the track. Live playing, I use a lot of different sounds to accomplish complicated arrangements, so building scenes is very important to me as well.. I also own a Modx7 and combined with the Fantom it is a one two punch. My third board is a Nord Electro 2 - 73 which is strictly my tone wheel organ, so I don't use the one on the Fantom, but the Fantom one sounds great and it is only usable in zone 2.. I've owned every variety of Korg OASYS type board Korg offers, from the OASYS to the Nautilus and I currently don't own one as I traded in my month old Nautilus 88 for the Fantom 08 and honestly never looked back. If you try one and can't stop playing it, then it is time to buy it.. That is exactly what happened to me..

Ask a Question